NGD: Paisley content

Busk

• Members

I got this. I wanted a strat with a maple board and trem to go with my "vintage" 79 hardtail. I was going to get an EJ, but realized that I can get an MIM or MIJ and make it play as well as any strat. Also, I wanted the thick as a candy apple, Paisley to go with my blue flower tele. Sustains for days like the tele, but I know good coupling.

A few things: the trem, saddles and hardware are very good on this MIJ. No need to change them. I have to say I thought they'd be obviously second rate in some way but they're not. The nut was cut correctly too. The only negative, and it is a rather minor one, is a very slight bubbling of the pickguard between the neck and middle pup. I could iron it, but it's not big enough to bother.

I did some minor things to it already. I set it up for 10s and got the action nice and low. The intonation was way off, so I did that. I also threw in a US 5-way switch and a better $1.50 cap as opposed to the $.15 cap that was there. I wired the bridge pup into the second tone control along with the middle. I am going to leave the minipots as they are Alphas.

I will probably change the pups to GFS 70s grey bottoms non-staggers. The pups on my '79 strat are amazing and it sounds like this is exactly what the GFS pups are trying to be. The stock pups are fine, but they're vintage, and I want the strat tone of my '79.

• Members
Beautiful! I've been eyeing some of the Paisley and Flowerdy ones at a locally owned mom-n-pop here in town. They have Tele's and Strats on the wall. Dang, that is nice.
:thu:

So for you...:

87132d1220407066-animated-gif-thread-08.

Thanks. I recommend getting one of those. They may need a set up or some tweaking, but they will not disappoint. I am from the school of thought that says that the vintage, holy grail Fenders were pretty simple machines. I also believe that a $300 guitar well set up electric plugged into a >$1000 amp will always sound better than a CS Fender or Gibby Historic plugged into a cheap amp. Of course, I've some amazing tone come from players with seriously cheap (crappy) set ups.

• Members

One of the local music shops has one of those hanging on the wall. Every time I look at it I am overcome with GAS.

Try it. Maybe, you'll be lucky and it will be set up poorly and you won't want it...

• Members

Not my cup of tea - but HNGD. Lamb Chop my white german shepard gives 2 paws and a tail up.

- w

What? A flaming pink paisley strat is not everyone's first choice of guitar? I refuse to believe it...

Thanks man.

Archived