Lubricating The Nut On A Strat

bobc

• Members

Fender recommends 3 in one oil to lubricate the saddles when changing the strings. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a little 3 in one oil in the nut slots as well.

Would it hurt anything?

• Members

Just rub the lead end of a pencil onto the nut slots to lube it up. There are other things you can use such as wax from a crayon,chapstick etc. I prefer graphite. There is also nut lube you can buy. Dab it into the nut slots and on bridge saddles.I would not use 3n1 oil but,that is me.

• Members

I put a Graph Tech nut on when I first got the guitar and it does not seem to be binding, but I just set my bridge to floating and just want to make sure I don't have any tuning issues.

I'm NOT going to use the 3 in one oil. It would not be a good thing if even a little bit of it got into the wood.

Thanks everyone, and I will consider some of your ideas.

• Members

Just rub the lead end of a pencil onto the nut slots to lube it up. There are other things you can use such as wax from a crayon,chapstick etc. I prefer graphite. There is also nut lube you can buy. Dab it into the nut slots and on bridge saddles.I would not use 3n1 oil but,that is me.

Dis' what I do. No way am I using oil for that.

• Members

I use the 3 in 1 up on the nut. Works amazingly.

I just do it before I clean the fretboard with naptha and lemon oil it.

The naptha will take off any excess that happens to spill over but it should not make a difference either way.

• Members

Just rub the lead end of a pencil onto the nut slots to lube it up.
There are other things you can use such as wax from a crayon,chapstick etc. I prefer graphite. There is also nut lube you can buy. Dab it into the nut slots and on bridge saddles.I would not use 3n1 oil but,that is me.

+1

a mechanical pencil does the trick.

• Members

You don't want oil on the wood.

3-in-1 won't hurt your fingerboard. I have used it to oil the fretboard. It's like baby oil I think. Some old hillbillies told me to use it. It's fine. I think i read that martin puts it on their fingerboards.

Put a couple drips at the trem screw holes, too.

• Members

3-in-1 won't hurt your fingerboard. I have used it to oil the fretboard. It's like baby oil I think. Some old hillbillies told me to use it. It's fine. I think i read that martin puts it on their fingerboards.

Put a couple drips at the trem screw holes, too.

I agree with you Cep... Oil won't hurt you fingerboard... particularly rosewood and ebony... you probably don't want to oil unfinished maple just because it would turn dark.

Every time the topic of what to put on your fretboard comes up you get about as many variations of what to and not-to as there are people responding.

I sure am not an expert, but I do work with wood extensively, particularly hard woods, have built and worked on guitars, and in my 35+ years of playing and owning many, many, have probably put just about everything you can imagine on my fretboards with no ill effects. I do know that woods like rosewood and ebony are very hard and very resiliant, and it's pretty hard to do anything to them to damage them.

There may be better things to use for lubricating a nut than 3-in-1 oil (I use chapstick or graphite... pencil lead), but it won't hurt your fretboard.

Archived