Bugera V22 vs Peavey C30?

guitarman3001

• Members

I like my C30. I have had it for over 10 years. I will probably get a Celestion at some point. I prefer the Marshall, mushy smooth distortion. I also run effects through the clean channel, it takes them fine for me. I use a Tubescreamer (TS7), and have run an Arion distortion, DOD Supra and MXR Doubleshot. The only one I did not like is the Doubleshot. But, that was probably more the doubleshot than the C30.

As far as Bugera, :idk: Never played through one.

• Members

wow... this v22 wasn't on my radar but checking it out now they seem awesome. I may have to keep it on my radar. they haev enough power to keep up with a drummer in a small/medium venue?

well, all of my 30 watt amps have more than enough power for that. I gig unmic'd all the time and I have only run out of clean headroom once and that was with my C30 at an outdoor gig that we played at regular volume but then the owner actually asked us to turn up. The C30 didn't have enough for that. That was actually perfect for me because I was finally able to get some good power tube breakup. That's what I'm looking to be able to do at all my gigs, which I can't do right now because the 30 watters are too loud. I figure the V22 will let me play at the volume I want which is right at the point where it starts running out of clean headroom. It's hard to say without actually playing it but I'm thinking the 13 watt setting will be what I'm looking for.

• Members

what about the Jet City (Soldano) 20 watt combo with reverb??

i played a V22 a couple months ago....and after 10 minutes it got VERY mushy and had ZERO clean headroom......i wouldn't play one on stage if you gave it to me.....sorry.

the Jet City just plain cranked....and when you roll back the volume knob.....it cleans up nicely...not pedal steel clean....but rock clean
:thu:

the thing about the jet city is it's only single channel and doesn't have an fx loop. Lately I've really gotten to like having an fx loop. Also, the V22 has the pentode/triode mode so I can drop the wattage even lower. That's a big plus for me given the size rooms I play.

• Members

Earlier today I went to GC and spent about half an hour with one. Gotta say, I was very very impressed. It's a very warm sounding amp with a great clean channel that breaks up nicely at relatively tolerable volume levels when you crank it in triode mode. Just what I'm looking for!

Right next to it they had a mesa express 5:25 and a lonestar special. I decided to see just how much better a 1200.00 amp was than the V22. Gotta say, I was massively underwhelmed by the mesas. I don't know if they're just harder to dial in but after futzing with them for 10 minutes I still hadn't managed to get a usable tone out of them. The clean channels were ok but the distortion channels were either too harsh or too muddy. Couldn't really get any warmth from them. I liked the V22's tones MUCH better. I'm sure the mesas are better built and they have a bunch more options and switches and gadgets but I genuinely liked the tones from the V22 more.

I tried to buy it on the spot but my GC doesn't like to haggle and I refuse to pay list price for something like that. I offered them 300.00 out the door but as usual, they said no and as happens 90% of the time I go there with the intention of giving them my money, I walked out empty handed.

So, now I know I want one, it's just a matter of getting the right price.

btw, slightly offtopic, the blackstar HT5 mini fullstack that has been selling there for between 479 and 499 forever is now selling for 599.00.

Archived