Bugera V22 vs Peavey C30?

guitarman3001

• Members

Another GAS-induced neurotic post....

I currently have a C30 and also a Palomino V32, both 1x12 combos, both 30 watt. Both too loud for most of the clubs I play. I like to use the clean channel and run it just to the point of natural power tube breakup then use pedals for the heavier gain sounds. I can't do this with either of my combos.

So, been reading a lot of very good things about the bugera V22. It's 22 watts and the best part is that it can be switched to 13 watts. I'm thinking wattage-wise, this is pretty much exactly what I need.

Now, if I were to get the V22, I'd have to sell one of my amps. I like the palomino more than the C30 so the C30 would be the one to go.

Has anyone here played both the V22 and the C30? If so, how do they compare? I currently play in a classic rock/southern rock/blues band and the tones I like to aim for are billy gibbons, AC/DC, skynrd, van halen, slash, and occasionally a little brutalz for fun but mostly the ZZ Top and classic to southern rock tones.

would exchanging my C30 for a V22 make sense? The price seems right. I can probably finagle a V22 for the same price I could sell my C30 for.

(I originally posted this by accident on the effects forum...sorry about the cross-post)

• Members

Well, from all that I've read, the V22 has a bit of a Matchless vibe. If you'd prefer that to vibe to what the C30 does, it'll be a good trade. But, if you like the C30 and are only considering the swap because of the loudness, maybe you should look into an attenuator instead.

• Members

The V22 is rated at 22 watts @ 4ohms and the speaker in it is 8ohms, so actual wattage is even less than rated. With that said, it still plays pretty damn loud for it's output power. In Triode mode, volume drop is nice and the amp sounds a bit different. Very versatile, good sounding amp. Alot of guys posting in the massive V22 thread at TGP have changed tubes and speakers (though alot have gone back to the stock speaker) and a number have used the amp for gigs as well as home playing, with good results.

• Members

Well, from all that I've read, the V22 has a bit of a Matchless vibe. If you'd prefer that to vibe to what the C30 does, it'll be a good trade. But, if you like the C30 and are only considering the swap because of the loudness, maybe you should look into an attenuator instead.

did someone say matchless?:eek:

• Members

I've heard that cosmetically it resembles a matchless but not sonically.

I'd appreciate it if you could point us to those sources. It could prove helpful.

I don't think that many people have played through a Matchless, so most probably wouldn't be able to say one way or the other. Instead, many compare the clean to a Vox AC15 which is a more common amp. But, you will find that the people familiar with Matchless seem to say it sounds like it's a clone of that kind of circuit. Of course, they could be wrong.

Here's one source in the lllloooooonggg Bugera V22 thread....Post #49

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=594278&highlight=bugera+v22&page=4

• Members
I'd appreciate it if you could point us to those sources. It could prove helpful.

I don't think that many people have played through a Matchless, so most probably wouldn't be able to say one way or the other. Instead, many compare the clean to a Vox AC15 which is a more common amp. But, you will find that the people familiar with Matchless seem to say it sounds like it's a clone of that kind of circuit. Of course, they could be wrong.

Here's one source in the lllloooooonggg Bugera V22 thread....Post #49

I've played a number of original Matchless and Bad Cats, including a sweet Chieftan head that I gigged with for several months. I've also played two V22s, one in a store and one onstage at our local Auditoreum that does lots of musical events. Nothing wrong with the V22, but it is in the "budget EL84 amp tone" arena. It bears no resemblence to a Voxy chime, clean or pushed.

• Members

the V1512 V-series and V16 Palominos are killer amps!!

I know. I have a v15:thu:

I was hesitant to buy it when I first saw it due to the infamous crate reputation but where I live there are just not many tube amps for sale so it was either it or a Laney VC15. So I took a chance. But man when I got it I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I have since been able to play a blues Jnr and a Vox AC15 (probably the chinese made one) and in my opinion the crate blows a way the Jnr and is better than the vox. Dirty, clean,...what ever.

• Members

The crate palominos are definitely great amps. Like I mentioned, I have a palomino V32 and I like it more than my C30, that's why I'm thinking of selling the C30 and getting the bugera. If my palomino had a switchable wattage down to 15 watts, that would be the perfect amp for me.

I'm thinking the bugera might be close enough at 22/13 watts. I'd consider a palomino V16 but those are almost impossible to find. The bugera is easy to find, priced right, and seems to get good reviews.

• Members

I've played a number of original Matchless and Bad Cats, including a sweet Chieftan head that I gigged with for several months. I've also played two V22s, one in a store and one onstage at our local Auditoreum that does lots of musical events. Nothing wrong with the V22, but it is in the "budget EL84 amp tone" arena. It bears no resemblence to a Voxy chime, clean or pushed.

That's good to know. I've heard the youtube shootout with the Bugera V22 vs Vox AC15 and I didn't think they sounded very close.

I'm sure the V22 is a decent amp for the money. But, I'll stick with my VAC Hayseed 15.

• Members

That's good to know. I've heard the youtube shootout with the Bugera V22 vs Vox AC15 and I didn't think they sounded very close.

I'm sure the V22 is a decent amp for the money. But, I'll stick with my VAC Hayseed 15.

they don't sound the least bit similar to me.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I think I need a v22. Off to GC trade in hand.....tomorrow.

I went by one of the GCs in my area last night and they didn't have any in stock. I might check the other one tomorrow. I'd really like to play one before buying it to make sure I like the tone enough to gig with it. I may not be able to though.

• Members

what about the Jet City (Soldano) 20 watt combo with reverb??

i played a V22 a couple months ago....and after 10 minutes it got VERY mushy and had ZERO clean headroom......i wouldn't play one on stage if you gave it to me.....sorry.

the Jet City just plain cranked....and when you roll back the volume knob.....it cleans up nicely...not pedal steel clean....but rock clean :thu:

• Members

I have owned both a Classic 30, and currently a V22.

I like both but the V22 edges out the Classic 30 a bit for me. I think the V22's clean channel destroys the Peavey's. I absolutely hate the Blue Marvel speaker that comes stock in the C30 and I expected to hate the V22's but Bugera really did their homework. The Stock speaker in the V22 absolutely doesn't need to be replaced. The gain side is a matter of taste. The C30 tends to be a mushy smooth Marshall kind of distortion and the V22 is much tighter. The V22 takes pedals much better than C30. I never liked pedals into the clean channel of the C30. I went through about 5 distortions and overdrives on my C30 and was never happy. The V22 takes pedals better than any amp I have owned.

The debate between the V22 being a matchess or a Vox clone is silly to me. Matchless and Vox are 95% the same circuit. Matchless couldn't even be bothered to change more than one letter of the AC30. "Hey guys I have an idea lets clone the AC30...we'll cal it....the DC30! People will never suspect it's an expensive AC30!"

• Members

Am I the only one that thinks the Bugera sounds wayyy better than the Vox in that vid???

I don't want to beat up on the guy who did the AC15 vs V22 video because I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to produce a gear demo. However, I think this is his WORST shoot out video.

He tries to be fair by putting both amp controls at noon....which would make sense if they were identical in design, but they are NOT! The main thing I get out of the video is that these 2 amps are TOTALLY different.

I've heard the Vox AC15 in person and it can sound very good! It has a unique voice that's unlike other amps. It suits certain playing styles, but it isn't for everybody. Unfortunately, it's worst feature is the reverb tank and he gives us too much of that in the demo!

In the video, the Bugera V22 sounds generic clean. With gain, it's a bit ratty, dark and mushy. I've heard better clips of this amp. Still, I've never heard the V22 in person, so I can't pass judgment on it, yet.

Archived