Buying American Standard Tele Online?

RedBarchetta

• Members

I live a good distance from any Guitar Center and might not be able to get there for a few weeks. I am afraid that Fender's sale might run out soon and it's either now or never. I can buy the American Standard Tele online or I can wait a few weeks and pick it up at Guitar Center with the risk that their sale might be over and back up to $1200.

I know the Mexicans have worse quality control and it's a bad idea for them, but if there is high quality control with the Americans, is it a safe idea?

• Members

I wouldn't say that the issues between MIM and MIA are "quality control," suggesting that there's more likely to be something wrong with an MIM than a MIA. That isn't what you're paying for. What you're paying for is higher-quality parts and better build due to it's origin of manufacturing. I doubt anyone here would tell you the MIM is a "bad idea."

However, if you want an MIA, just go to Guitar Center, bring a copy of someone else's sale price, and try to get them to price match, or even go LOWER than the sale price. They very well may, despite people talking about their recent "no-haggle policy." They did for me with my MIM Roadworn tele.

• Members

I wouldn't say that the issues between MIM and MIA are "quality control," suggesting that there's more likely to be something wrong with an MIM than a MIA. That isn't what you're paying for. What you're paying for is higher-quality parts and better build due to it's origin of manufacturing. I doubt anyone here would tell you the MIM is a "bad idea."

However, if you want an MIA, just go to Guitar Center, bring a copy of someone else's sale price, and try to get them to price match, or even go LOWER than the sale price. They very well may, despite people talking about their recent "no-haggle policy." They did for me with my MIM Roadworn tele.

I will say I wish I had either gotten a higher end MIM or a MIA Std. Tele instead of my MIM Std. Tele. Just never bonded with it. Eventually got an MIA and it blows the MIM away in build/feel and sound. I realized I wasted my money on it and it became a project guitar. On the other hand I've played some really bad MIAs too. As much as I want to say go ahead and order an MIA because chances are you will catch a good one I think you would be better off going and trying a bunch at GC.

• Members

I have an MIA standard and it's quickly becoming my go to guitar. Very very sweet guitar indeed, and I can't recommend it enough.

Otoh I tried a couple before settling on this one, and there were differences in sound and weight. Not necessarily good or bad just different, which is why I'd personally loath buying online. Luckily this town have plenty of stores.

Is the return policy good? Then I might pull the trigger if i were you - as long as you can get your money back if you don't bond with it it's worth a shot

• Members

You can always return it - I find the key to getting the M123/MF/WWBW conglomerate to pay for return shipping is the following three concepts.

1) Be polite. Excessively polite, because if there is anything Harmony Central has taught me it is the average person ordering on-line has the social skills of a six year old and the person on the other end of the line is probably sick of hearning people whine. "Hi, [insert sales reps name here], this is Bad Chile. I'm calling about an American Standard Telecaster I ordered and recieved a couple of days ago. I was wondering if you could please help me with a problem I'm having with my order?"

2) Explain the issue. Don't use language your monther, wife, girlfriend, or teachers would not like to hear you say. Use descriptive phrases. Saying, "The guitar sucks" is not getting you points here because hundreds of people ordering and keeping the guitar contradicts your statement. Say your real reason. "I ordered this guitar based upon reviews on the Musician's Friend board 'Harmony Central', and I have to say, I'm disappointed in the quality, and would like to return it."

3) When all else fails, man up and pay your return shipping. If you can afford a $1000 guitar you can afford to repack the guitar, go to UPS, and pay $30 to ship it back. For $30 you got to try a guitar in the privacy of your own home for 45 days and then return it. Ask any of the Brits on this board if there are any stores in the UK with return policies like that....

One of the things I do - frequently - when ordering items that may vary - is I'll order two or three to compare. If you can float it in your budget, why not buy two of the same guitar, planning on returning the one you like less?

Archived