Just listened to Izzy Straddlin' & the JuJu Hounds...

BlackHatHunter

• Members

when was this album released?

I was halfway through college for the first time (one of 4 attended over the years), so it had to be around '92 or so.

Good album, don't have it anymore, had it on...cassette.

I believe some of his subsequent albums didn't have a US distribution.

• Members

Great album...I've known Rick Richards since the early 70s...played in a couple of bands and my band and the Satellites used to play together all the time in the 80s...he and I have jammed late into the night literally hundreds of times. My old band still does a reunion show once or twice a year and Rick and other friends usually come out for a late night jam.:cool:

• Members

Hell to the yes.

I bought that on cassette when it came out. I was in 8th grade, so 1992 sounds about right. Picked up the cd for a dollar or two when the National Record Mart chain went under about 8 years ago. I've never been able to get my hands on his subsequent albums, but I have faith that they're good--Izzy's one solid songwriter.

• Members

I love that album. It made me realize how important Izzy was to GnR's sound and songwriting.

That was exactly my opinion as well. Slash was pretty ruthless when Izzy left the band/was kicked out, whichever actually happened, calling Izzy basically a liability. Then he comes up w/ that album, and all of a sudden, it made me realize that while Slash was they guy getting all the spotlight on guitar, Izzy was no slouch either.

The funny part is that I don't know when's the last time I listened to GnR, but I listen to the JuJus every couple of months....

• Members

Hell to the yes.

I bought that on cassette when it came out. I was in 8th grade, so 1992 sounds about right. Picked up the cd for a dollar or two when the National Record Mart chain went under about 8 years ago. I've never been able to get my hands on his subsequent albums, but I have faith that they're good--Izzy's one solid songwriter.

I have 117

• Members

That was exactly my opinion as well. Slash was pretty ruthless when Izzy left the band/was kicked out, whichever actually happened, calling Izzy basically a liability. Then he comes up w/ that album, and all of a sudden, it made me realize that while Slash was they guy getting all the spotlight on guitar, Izzy was no slouch either.

The funny part is that I don't know when's the last time I listened to GnR, but I listen to the JuJus every couple of months....

I think Izzy took all of the song writing talent with him when he left. I liked that song about drinking on the train tracks a lot, had a Kieth Richards "Happy" vibe, in fact I think I read somewhere at the time it came out he was going for an "Exil on Main Street" vibe. I think it came off pretty well.

• Members

Good album, reminds me of early 70's/Mick Taylor era Stones. I think the other guitar player on this album was a guy from the Georgia Satellites.

I had 117 degrees in the Car CD player last week and that's exactly what I was thinking. Moreover, there were cool, Tele countrified licks, crunchy plaintive LP tones, killer slide and even some acoustic stuff. I don't know what the deal was with GNR but Slash can't hold a candle IMO.

• Members

Slash was pretty ruthless when Izzy left the band/was kicked out, whichever actually happened, calling Izzy basically a liability. Then he comes up w/ that album, and all of a sudden, it made me realize that while Slash was they guy getting all the spotlight on guitar, Izzy was no slouch either.

Maybe by liability he meant in other ways...when I met Slash and Izzy (August 1987) nobody knew who they were but they were about to make a meteoric rise. Slash spoke with myself and about 5 or 6 other people who were with me for about 15-20 minutes...all the while Izzy was so hammered he could hardly stand up and some whore was trying to get him back to the hotel and so on...he's staggering around yelling "F OFF" and all this. Come to think of it we probably would have talked to Slash longer if Izzy wasn't making a complete spectacle of himself for nobody but us, Slash and the whore.

So maybe Slash meant that he was a liability because he was on something heavy and wouldn't leave it alone. Heroin? Coke?

• Members

The best GNR spinoff in my opinion was the first Snakepit album, then of course Velvet Revolver.

That first snakepit album kicked ass. The 2nd one had some great guitar playing from Slash, but not a great album.

The first Velvet Revolver album was great, and the second one sucked.

• Members

Maybe by liability he meant in other ways...when I met Slash and Izzy (August 1987) nobody knew who they were but they were about to make a meteoric rise. Slash spoke with myself and about 5 or 6 other people who were with me for about 15-20 minutes...all the while Izzy was so hammered he could hardly stand up and some whore was trying to get him back to the hotel and so on...he's staggering around yelling "F OFF" and all this. Come to think of it we probably would have talked to Slash longer if Izzy wasn't making a complete spectacle of himself for nobody but us, Slash and the whore.

So maybe Slash meant that he was a liability because he was on something heavy and wouldn't leave it alone. Heroin? Coke?

They were all toxic before the end. Stradlin got clean before he left the band. Listen closely to the songs Stradlin wrote on UYI I & II, he had already realized that he was not cut out for life in a mega-group circus environment.

Since going solo he's said multiple times that he is making a conscious effort to avoid the demands and intrusions of rock stardom and will not do heavy or large scale touring.

I have his first solo album on CD and listen to it a fair bit. He knows what he likes and that's what he plays. Pressure Drop and Take a Look at the Guy are both covers. At the time they recorded it they were afraid they couldn't pull off a decent reggae sound so they did Pressure Drop as punk/thrash and Take a Look at the Guy was an excuse to get Ron Wood onto the album (it's his song, and Stradlin is a big fan.)

One of these days I'm gonna try his other works.

• Members

TDBlooz...I'm not ripping on him. Most people that make a truckload of money fast implode. I was just offering the possibility that he didn't mean musically as I didn't hear the interview or read a quote or anything that led me as to the context. Slash was 100% sober on the day that I recounted by the way. So who knows...maybe Izzy had been like that from before they started getting anywhere and by the time that they all joined in Izzy may have been falling apart?

I might add that I can't stand to listen to UYI 1 & 2...there was far too much filler on those things for me. I was already past that band by the time they put that out. I'd rather have stood out alone in the CYOLD NOVEMBUH RAYNE than hear that stuff. I gave it a chance and hated it.I was on to Badlands and Pantera by then.

• Members

What he probably meant was that Izzy wouldn't put any effort into the band any more. He would put his riffs and songs on a 4 track and consider it done. He wouldn't move an inch on stage, something that Axl cited as a reason to cut his pay as compared to the rest of the band, whom in Axl's opinion gave more each show than Izzy did. The pay cut suggestion was the straw that made Izzy leave.

I have every single one of Izzy's albums. To me, Izzy is as important (if not more important) than Axl and Slash to Guns' sound.

Archived