24 3/4'' 9.5 radius bocote fretboard

22 medium/jumbo frets

hand cut bone nut

Schaller locking tuners (I believe)

Sapele neck

• Members

Oh wow. I am drooling.

Two questions:

1. How are the Brighton Rocks? I would love to put together a hardtail Strat with some.

2. Since you appear to be an exotic wood junkie, are you familiar with the work of bass builder Matt Schmill, who builds under the name FBB? I own one of his basses (and had another one previously, which I regret selling to buy a synthesizer :facepalm:) and will have it until I die.

• Members

dont know who that is, never heard. I am in fredericksburg VA though if you ever come to the area and want to try out some of my axes.

The brighton rocks are very... interesting. You gotta keep them pretty far away from the strings if you want to use them for any sort of overdrive, but they sound good, just not your average single coil. i am not getting any 60 cycle hum either, which is surprising to me.

• Members

dont know who that is, never heard. I am in fredericksburg VA though if you ever come to the area and want to try out some of my axes.

The brighton rocks are very... interesting. You gotta keep them pretty far away from the strings if you want to use them for any sort of overdrive, but they sound good, just not your average single coil. i am not getting any 60 cycle hum either, which is surprising to me.

You know, I might well do that. The wife and I are a little short on cash right now (eight months of unemployment will do that to you) but I'll keep you in mind.

Why do you have to keep the Brighton Rocks so far from the strings? Is it a magnet pull issue? The lack of hum shouldn't be surprising--your shielding job appears to be exquisite, and the pickups themselves might even be in a Faraday cage like EMG single-coils.

• Members

not really a magnet pull issue, its just really really muddy on overdrive when you have them this close, and even on clean its a bit over-powering. I do a really good shielding job, I have not made the back cover yet, once i put that on and shield it, it should be virtually "air tight" with the exceptions of the wire holes.

• Members

.....well, THIS is interesting. I'm actually rather close to Fredericksburg VA, I had no idea there was a custom builder in the area. Did Picker's Supply or Apple Music expand out a bit or are you on your own with it?

PM me some info, man, I might stop by one day.

Archived