hard case VS. high quality gigbag

Ferdinandstrat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't take my guitars out of the house much anymore but I still prefer hard cases because they are easier to stack and store. My gig bags always seems in the way whether they have a guitar in them or not. Cases stack neatly in the corner.

When I do take guitars on the go hard cases ride much better in a car full of gear.

• Members

I too like the polyfoam cases. If you get a hard case get one that actually fits the damn guitar. A universal case will still let the guitar slop around inside. What's the point? I took some styrofoam and some black velveteen material and made side bolsters for my roadrunner polyfoam case. Once stitched in place the guitar can't move and it looks like it came from the factory that way.

• Members

I have a Hiscox hard case for my faux LP.- 'Tis definitely the bizz for all-round crush-proof protection.

A Gator style hardfoam case for my Fender Strat - Lighter than the Hiscox but best thought of as a 'stiffer' bag.

A substantial GigBag that has served well is an 'Indie' bag which offers similar levels of protection as the rather good 'PRS' bags I've seen......BUT.....I recently bought my wif a 'Tribal Planet' Gig Bag' for her mandolin and these are truly magnificent...especially the more upmarket ones.(And not silly-money either)

IDK how easy they are to get in the 'States but it's worth 'Googling' them if only for their whacky Pythonesque Promo videos ('Mortal Kumquat'...etc!)

• Members

As a non-driver. I use public transport a lot and gigbags are a lot easier to manage.

Get good ones, though ... a crap one does little more than keep the rain off (and a REALLY crap one can't even be relied upon to do that).

• Members

I paid $39 two years ago for a Gator soft case for my LP. It was perfect! The same one sells for $69 now. I didn't think they would increase in popularity like they have, but If I was going to spend over $75 on a case it had better be a hard case or I'll think it was a rip-off.

(lately I've seen some outlandishly high priced gig bags at Sam Ash in the $129 range.)

LOL! ROFL!:eekphil:

Archived