$2200 - Which Fender to buy????

yell03

• Members

Here is the deal:

I sold my Gibson ES339 to a lucky Forum Member for the low price of $1450 shipped and paypal'd.

I used that money to buy a Brand New Fender Custom shop Custom Classic Strat in Cobalt Blue with a Maple Fretboard and V neck for $1650.

Then I sold my 2006 Fender American Series Strat on Ebay for $750 and I am waiting on another Forum Member who is buying my 2001 Custom Shop SG Custom for the deal of a lifetime price of $1549 shipped and paypal'd.

So, I have almost $2200 to play with.

What do I do?

Buy both an American Standard Strat for $780 and an American Standard Tele for $780 = $1560.

I can always return anything I buy for up to 45 days if I don't like them.

I have never owned a Telecaster, I have never been a Fender guy, but in my later years (46 years old) I am craving more versatility in my arsenal.

Do I just buy the Telecaster and skip the Am Std Strat?

Will there be a big enough difference between the Custom Classic Strat and American Standard Strat to warrant buying both?

I have to be honest.

I think I am buying the American Standard Strat because it is a GREAT DEAL that I am afraid to pass up, but will I play it if I have a Custom Classic?

My thinking is, if I buy both, there may even be a chance I like the Am Std better than the Custom Clasic, then I could return the CC to buy another high end guitar.

Now the wildcard:

I have found two different Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic Telecasters in Cobalt Blue (just like the CC Strat I bought), one for $1700 shipped and the other for $1900 shipped.

The one for $1900 is New, but not from a Fender dealer, the other one is used, but I think I can negotiate the price closer to $1500-$1600.

The problem is, if I don't like it, I can't return it.

Should I buy the CC Tele for $1700, buy the Am Std Tele for $780, or buy both the Am Std Tele and Strat for $1560?

Help!!!!

A big question is:

Will an American Standard Strat sound much different than the Custom Classic Strat?

Being that I have not been a fender guy in the past, will I be happy owning three of them?

I know I'll miss my High End Custom Shop Gibsons, but I still will have 3 Les Pauls and 1 SG.

I actually have another Forum Member interested in one of my Custom Shop Les Pauls, but being a Les Paul guy first and foremost, I don't know if I can sell it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can always sell them if you end up not liking them down the road, Have you played any of the guitars that you are considering? The V necks are a touch different, but I like them...The American Standards that I have played were great!

I had a V-neck 2008 American Deluxe Strat that I loved the feel of, but I couldn't bond with the noiseless pick-ups.

I have owned one and played quite a few American Standard Strats, they are very hit and miss, but a good set-up can fix almost any guitar.

That is why NEW with a 45 day return policy is a great option for me.

I have only played one American Standard Telecaster, I liked it, not loved it, but for $780 having that versatility might be nice, but if not, 45 days and bye bye.

If I buy the Custom Classic Telecaster and don't like it, I will probably lose money by selling it cheap liek I do all my used stuff.

• Members

For $2200 I wouldn't get a Fender. I'd get a small luthier guitar which will blow it out of the water. But that's me
:)

I actually have a hook-up with a local gu who builds really nice Custom Strats, Teles and Les Pauls, but it is kind of like the Forum Member who was out playing his Custom Suhr Strat & a guy approached him and said, "What, you couldn't afford a fender?":lol:

Seriously, in my head from growing up watching all my idols playing Gibsons and Fenders, I will always want one.

Custom Shops have an even deeper spot in my heart.

NEW guitars, like New car smell, also have a special place in my heart.

I have actually sold off every guitar I have not bought new, except for the 2007 Les Paul Custom, that was just the find of a lifetime.

In 1981 I traded away the exact same LP Custom guitar I bought brand new straight up for a Japanese Strat, see what drugs can do to the teen mind,:lol:

After years of kicking myself in the azz, I found a great deal on the same looking Cherry Sunburst LP Custom with gold hardware and black pickguard.

In fact the 2007 model blows away the older one in playability and tone.

Of course, it cost me an extra $1000, but oh well.

I can easily get $2000 for it anytime I want, I have two forum members offering me that right now, but I am afraid to make another mistake.

• Members

...but it is kind of like the Forum Member who was out playing his Custom Suhr Strat & a guy approached him and said, "What, you couldn't afford a fender?":lol:

To which many people would have replied, I just wanted something better ;)

Reminds me of the time one guy said to Andrew Latimer: "Your Gibson Les Paul is beautiful and sounds incredible." To which Latimer proudly replied: "It's not a Gibson, it's a Burny."

I agree with BlackHatHunter 100%

That's not to say that there aren't some nice Fenders out there, but usually for the same amount of money you can get a nicer instrument without the Fender brand name, sometimes by the people who made Fender custom guitars, like Suhr or Baker.

My favorite "strats" have been Melancon Pro Artist, Melancon Vintage Artist, G&L S-500 with Rocketfire pickups, and US Masters LeGrand. Each one was significantly cheaper than a similar guitar by Fender.

I did play a friend's Fender Rory Gallagher which was incredible, but way overpriced.

• Members

I played a few specials last week. I wasn't too into them but I've never been able to gel with jumbo frets all that well. I don't think you can go wrong with Am. Stds. though. Usually they are pretty good. If you don't mind buying used and dealing with the complications of it you can find them for around $750 every day on CL.

• Members

I played a few specials last week. I wasn't too into them but I've never been able to gel with jumbo frets all that well. I don't think you can go wrong with Am. Stds. though. Usually they are pretty good. If you don't mind buying used and dealing with the complications of it you can find them for around $750 every day on CL.

I can buy Brand New American Standard Strats and Teles brand new for $780.

I didn't like the American Specials either.

• Members

I actually have a hook-up with a local gu who builds really nice Custom Strats, Teles and Les Pauls, but it is kind of like the Forum Member who was out playing his Custom Suhr Strat & a guy approached him and said, "What, you couldn't afford a fender?":lol:

It would be too easy and not very friendly to throw the obvious reply to that.

Eddie's reply is golden. Take a question like that as an opportunity to educate someone.

Seriously, in my head from growing up watching all my idols playing Gibsons and Fenders, I will always want one.

And that counts for a lot--I acknowledge that. Hell, I was a Gibson snob for that same reason. And then I started playing other marques. (full-disclosure: I'm a strat/tele kind of guy at this point in life, but not Fender-exclusive.)

But the difference between then and now is that there are SO many more makers now, especially small custom luthiers. BITD, their options were really limited. Now, the market is as wide open as your wallet. The more you want to spend, the more amazing choices you have.

For the price of a Fender sig model, vintage reissue, or other higher-end model, you can get a completely custom instrument from a reputable maker who will return your calls and listen to you and put his professional reputation and pride on the line to make you the instrument of your dreams in every way.

• Members

I recently played a Custom Made Tele, very high end, it was wired up so cool.

It had a Bridge Duncan Hot rails that could be split.

Then, you could run the single coil neck with half the Hot Rail, but it was wired like one Humbucker.

I must admit, it was very cool.

I knew it was well made because....

I only play 9-42s, the Tele was strung with 11s and I didn't even know or feel it. The neck was great.

For a lot less money I thought about buying the Am Std Tele and/or Strat and throwing a Hot Rail in the bridge for $75 and then coil tapping it for $35 if I wanted something hotter.

• Members

I would definitely at least consider and go try a few small builder guitars with that kind of budget. Fender does make some good stuff - but the whole reason these guys exist is because they're trying to build a "better" Fender.

That said, if you really need the Fender logo on the headstock it does make sense to get one. If you're paying that much money, you should be fully satisfied in every way. But playing a couple Suhrs etc may change your mind. Or not. But it's worth exploring alternatives.

• Members

For a lot less money I thought about buying the Am Std Tele and/or Strat and throwing a Hot Rail in the bridge for $75 and then coil tapping it for $35 if I wanted something hotter.

Well, if you want to use your budget to create a little variety in the stable, then this is a good way to go, too.

Standard Strats & Teles (MIM), Highway Ones, and Am. Standards are so hit and miss out of the box. Some just play so dreamy, to me, right when you pick them up. Some just need a little love. As a previous poster said, nothing a good set-up can't fix. And if you are open to doing some extra work.....then why not?

Noting says you have to spend it all......but, since you generated this money just from selling other guitars and it isn't coming out of "real world" sources, then, man, that would be a fun and guilt-free way to get a nice custom :)

• Members

Well, if you want to use your budget to create a little variety in the stable, then this is a good way to go, too.

Standard Strats & Teles (MIM), Highway Ones, and Am. Standards are so hit and miss out of the box. Some just play so dreamy, to me, right when you pick them up. Some just need a little love.
As a previous poster said, nothing a good set-up can't fix. And if you are open to doing some extra work.....then why not?

Noting says you have to spend it all......but, since you generated this money just from selling other guitars and it isn't coming out of "real world" sources, then, man, that would be a fun and guilt-free way to get a nice custom
:)

I said that:)

I am really thinking of buying both the Fender American Standard Strat and Telecaster.

Maple Fretboard or Rosewood?:facepalm:

I am old school, I laways thought Fenders should be Mpale and Gibson Rosewood or Ebony.

• Members

I'd buy a MIJ Jaguar special HH.

baritone.jpg

With the cash left over, I'd buy an EJ strat.

I'd skip a telecaster, even though they sound good, because they dig into my forearm in a way I don't find comfortable. That's just me, though.

The Custom Classic Strat is already purchase.

With the $1500 I get today, I am leaning towards buying both the American Std Tele and Strat and if I don't love them, I will return 1,2, or all 3.

• Members

I said that:)

you're right ;)

I never try to claim conventional wisdom as my own, cuz it's not, but I should have seen that you, the OP, were the one who brought it up here.

I am really thinking of buying both the Fender American Standard Strat and Telecaster.

Maple Fretboard or Rosewood
?
:facepalm:

I am old school, I laways thought Fenders should be Mpale and Gibson Rosewood or Ebony.

IMFUO, a tele should have a maple board, for the brightness. For a strat....up to you!

Post your new guitars when you get 'em and share what you did.

Good luck in your search!

• Members

you're right
;)

I never try to claim conventional wisdom as my own, cuz it's not, but I should have seen that you, the OP, were the one who brought it up here.

IMFUO, a tele should have a maple board, for the brightness. For a strat....up to you!

Post your new guitars when you get 'em and share what you did.

Good luck in your search!

I would bet on:

both an Am Std Strat and Tele with maple boards to go with the CC Strat with a Maple board.

Fenders Rosewood never felt good to me.

• Members

I would bet on:

both an Am Std Strat and Tele with maple boards to go with the CC Strat with a Maple board.

Fenders Rosewood never felt good to me.

You're gonna have so much fun with that tele and a second strat that you can set up differently than your other. Tons of fun!

My strats are all maple. I like 'em.

There is such a wide range in quality of rosewoods. Most production electrics have pretty poor rosewood, IMO.

My wife and I have over 20 acoustics between us, pretty nice ones. The better acoustics tend to have much higher quality woods than electrics at the same approximate price point. To me, most rosewood fingerboards on production electrics (even Gibsons) feel pretty cheap to me.

But then again, I never played a Gibson with some of that illegal rosewood :D

• Members

You're gonna have so much fun with that tele and a second strat that you can set up differently than your other. Tons of fun!

My strats are all maple. I like 'em.

There is such a wide range in quality of rosewoods. Most production electrics have pretty poor rosewood, IMO.

My wife and I have over 20 acoustics between us, pretty nice ones. The better acoustics tend to have much higher quality woods than electrics at the same approximate price point. To me, most rosewood fingerboards on production electrics (even Gibsons) feel pretty cheap to me.

But then again, I never played a Gibson with some of that illegal rosewood
:D

I must have that illegal rosewood, because my Custom Shops Rosewood is amazing.

I can't say the same for the USA rosewoods I've played and definitely not Fender Rosewood.

Archived