What Makes A Tele A Tele?

Elias Graves

• Members

Never owned one but I've been getting gas. I mean, they're ugly and the bridge just hurts my right hand but I feel the pull.

I played a gold thinline Squier VM and a sunburst CV. There were points about both that I liked but what does one look for in a telecaster?

What is the essence of teleness?

EG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

a "tele" in my mind is a single/single guitar with traditional tele pickups and wiring setup, the 3 saddle bridge, and no body carves.

anything else just isnt a tele to me. if its lacking any of those qualities, it ain't nothin' but a single-cut in my eyes.

• Members

A tele is a barebones machine. It can hit smooth lows and trebly leads, making it usable for almost every possible genre of music. It's built strong enough that it should be the first guitar you choose if you ever need to use one to bludgeon somebody in a pinch. And you know what? It'll still be in tune when you're done.

So, to answer the question in the OP, I'd say that its usefulness as a melee weapon is what makes a tele a tele.

• Members

This nails it. It's got a really powerful bridge sound. The sound varies in power from Tele to Tele, but it's a really distinct sound.

Shimmer, cut, twang. I can point it out whenever I hear it. And I don't think they're ugly! I think they are gorgeous!

Hmm I've never really been a fender guy, and I always think teles and country, strat and rock. How does the Tele bridge construction make it sound different than a strat? Forgive my noob question.

• Members

Hmm I've never really been a fender guy, and I always think teles and country, strat and rock. How does the Tele bridge construction make it sound different than a strat? Forgive my noob question.

It has a hell of a lot more metal and it's screwed flat to the body. On top of that, tele bridge pickups have large copper bases as well, so there's a lot of metal factoring in.

Also, when I think of teles, I think of country and blues, of course, but I also think of the slew of indie bands that favor them, plus The Clash, Soundgarden, Led Zep, and the Stones. they cover a lot of ground.

• Members

The Tele is all about the hard attack, especially playing clean without compression.

For some of us, the quirky tone of the covered mini-single in the neck is part of the fun too, but most Tele players are in it for the TWANG.

Oh, and for the record, I agree it's usually an ugly-looking guitar. Somebody said it's the pickup truck of the guitar world, and that seems like as good of a metaphor as anybody can come up with for the function-before-form design aesthetics of it.

• Members

It's been mentioned before, but:

1) The bridge pup is VERY close to the bridge, so the overtones get emphasized over the root wave a lot more than it would if it was maybe a half-inch farther away.

2) The metal plate around the pickup messes with the magnetic field in a rather distinct way.

3) Some people will tell you that the string-through fixed bridge results in a slight difference in sound and sustain from the spring-suspended tremolo bridge of the strat (and of those, some will insist that the two-strings-per-saddle choice also makes an impact... but that's a debate which has been raging on forever.)

• Members

1) The bridge pup is VERY close to the bridge, so the overtones get emphasized over the root wave a lot more than it would if it was maybe a half-inch farther away.

2) The metal plate around the pickup messes with the magnetic field in a rather distinct way.

3) Some people will tell you that the string-through fixed bridge results in a slight difference in sound and sustain from the spring-suspended tremolo bridge of the strat (and of those, some will insist that the two-strings-per-saddle choice also makes an impact... but that's a debate which has been raging on forever.)

Which results in me hearing what?

• Members

I shunted a 2HB config to get sc outers, sc inners and HBs on a three way toggle.

Surprisingly there is a distinct tele twang from the bridge outer even on a trem bridge. The pup is very close to the bridge in this one as well.

Less of it in the inner bridge sc, confirming the distance idea.

• Members

#2 is BS

Archived