Epiphone vs imported Hamer

Clinically Deaf

• Members

Recently stumbled upon the Hamer catalogue and really interested in some of the products they have to offer, however I don't have much experience with them. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a P90 equipped guitar and I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me the past couple days. I've been hearing lots of good things about the Epiphone '56 reissue Les Paul, and I'm just curious how Epiphone's quality compares to the imported Hamer Sunburst P90 model. I'm going for a Keith Urban rock/country tone through an 800 and possibly an AC30 at some point. Whichever I choose I will prob toss a of BG P90's in there, just curious what you guys think of each.

eaf78p.jpg

ofc9ap.jpg

• Members

I owned that exact Hamer several years ago, except mine had humbuckers instead of P90s. The guitar itself was a decent beginner to intermediate level guitar. Nothing fancy, but appeared to be pretty decent. The electronics however, were complete garbage. You have to factor in the cost of upgrading the pickups, pots, etc.

• Members

That schecter is sexy as hell. Do they make one like that currently. If that's 24 3/4 scale that could turn into a very viable option.

I owned that exact Hamer several years ago, except mine had humbuckers instead of P90s. The guitar itself was a decent beginner to intermediate level guitar. Nothing fancy, but appeared to be pretty decent. The electronics however, were complete garbage. You have to factor in the cost of upgrading the pickups, pots, etc.

Yeah that is a given, and prob will be done with either selection. Obviously it will not be used as a beginner guitar, maybe that should be taken into consideration

• Members

I played an Epi standard Goldtop that was simply fantastic at GC the other day. It was the best guitar I played out of maybe 15. Including Fender specials, Am. Stds., LTD, ESP, etc.

I must say I think the Hamer is a cool looking guitar though. Never played one so can't tell you which is better.

• Members

Dear Mr. Deaf,

I owned both Epi's, and I have a Korean Hamer SATF. But I did not vote - because the only shortcoming with the Hamer was the duncan designed humbuckers. I thought the DD's were OK at first, but after living with them for a while, I realized they just did not cut it. (TLBonehead warned me about them - he was right.) The Epi's are OK. BUT...

For around $400 (eBay w/ bing discount) you can get a Hagstrom Ultra Swede for around $400. It will blow both the Epi, and the Hamer away. (If you are OK with a thinner neck on the Ultra Swede.)

Try to play all three, then decide.

Have fun,

- w

• Members

Dear Mr. Deaf,

I owned both Epi's, and I have a Korean Hamer SATF. But I did not vote - because the only shortcoming with the Hamer was the duncan designed humbuckers. I thought the DD's were OK at first, but after living with them for a while, I realized they just did not cut it. (TLBonehead warned me about them - he was right.) The Epi's are OK. BUT...

For around $400 (eBay w/ bing discount) you can get a Hagstrom Ultra Swede for around $400. It will blow both the Epi, and the Hamer away. (If you are OK with a thinner neck on the Ultra Swede.)

Try to play all three, then decide.

Have fun,

- w

I played the ultra swede a few months ago. It was a really really good guitar. The Epi goldtop I played was 479 brand new and every bit as good. Don't think you can go wrong either way. But yeah. If you have a chance to check out some Hags definitely don't turn it down. They make some fine instruments.

• Members

That schecter is sexy as hell. Do they make one like that currently. If that's 24 3/4 scale that could turn into a very viable option.

Yeah, it's Gibson scale. It's basically an LP Goldtop shaped like a strat, with an neck-thru type heel, and a tonepros bridge. It just doesn't get any better, except that I have a set of BG P90s ready to put in there. Unfortunately they discontinued it in favor of their more ridiculous looking designs. They do show up on eBay occasionally though.

Schecter C-1 Special Features:

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access / 24.75

• Members

I own the humbucker versions of both of these guitars (so I'm not fully qualified to comment) but I will say that the imported Hamer definitely supasses the Epi in terms of bot quality and tone. So much so, that I am looking to trade away the Les Paul.

Archived