Fender Telecaster Neck Replacement Question(s)

ColoradoFenderB

• Members

I am sure several of you can answer this question...

Here is the deal. I own a Fender Special Edition Lite Ash Telecaster, which is now a discontinued model. I love the guitar, except the neck feels cheap. the finish is almost nonexistant - it feels like EVH's Peavey-era necks, which I don't like. Also, the fret edges are sharp (not a huge deal), but you can tell it isn't a great neck. BUT, the body and pickups are really nice. Here is a link to it (mine is the natural finish):

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511339

Okay, I was thinking that the body looks like a dead ringer for the Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster. So, I was thinking that, if I could get a neck off of one of these guitars and attach it to my Special Lite Ash Tele body, then I would have a really great #1 guitar. Note - I am not going to try to pawn it off as a real '52, I just think it will be close enough to a really expensive, great looking guitar to make me happy Here is a link to the '52 guitar: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Vintage-52-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510062

So, here are my question(s):

1. Will the '52 neck fit into the Special Lite Ash neck pocket & will the screw holes line up? I think the Special Lite Ash was made in Japan, if that makes a difference.

2. Are all Fender tele necks interchangeable?

3. Both are 25.5 in scales - but, the Special Lite Ash is a 22 fret neck and the '52 is a 21 fret neck. Will that matter or throw of tuning or intonation?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but before I go buying an expensive neck, I thought I should ask! Any comments from knowledgeable people are really appreciated!

• Members

FYI, the Lite Ash is made in Korea, not Japan. I'm afraid I can't confidently tell you whether an MIA neck will fit an MIK body, but I am pretty confident that the 22 vs 21 fret configuration is not an issue.

Thanks for clearing the country of prodcution, I wasn't sure about Japan. I am glad to hear the number of frets will not be an issue.

Now, just need to know about the neck pocket!

• Members

FYI, I know for a fact that MIM and MIA bodies/necks are interchangeable. However, the screw holes don't always line up exactly (even from one MIA body or neck to another) so you MAY have to plug the existing screw-holes and re-drill them.

• Members

Even guitars of the same model don't always fit... and even when they do, it won't always work as well as you might hope - I think you have to be prepared to use shims etc if necessary.

Thanks, I am prepared for that. I was worried that the neck and pocket would be totally off and just not work together.

I am going to see if it is a very tight, lined up fit once I get the neck. If so, I will attach it myself. If not, I have a great luthier in my city that will get the job! I am no expert woodworker and I don't want to screw it up.

• Members

Just curious -- will your Lite Ash body allow you access to the '52 neck's truss rod without taking the neck off?

Not that I can see. Which is a bit of a pain. I remember watching a DVD on guitar setup and the guitar tech had to take the neck off of an old Strat, to adjust the truss rod.

Which is why this project might be done by my local luthier!

• Members

Not that I can see. Which is a bit of a pain. I remember watching a DVD on guitar setup and the guitar tech had to take the neck off of an old Strat, to adjust the truss rod.

Yeah.. I can't figure out how you know how much to turn the truss rod without having the strings on it to measure the relief by, but those luthiers have mastered this black art, apparently. Hope it all comes together smoothly for you!

• Members

It's not that big a deal. With the neck on the guitar - tuned normally - measure the relief on the low E at the 7th fret using a capo at the first fret while holding down the string with your finger at the body fret. Fender factory standard is .010". For each .0025" increment/decrement the actual relief deviates from the standard (or your target), give the truss rod a quarter-turn in the appropriate direction. Don't go more than a one-half turn at a time. Let the neck settle overnight once you reattach it. You should be able to get to where you want without having to remove it more than twice (I can usually get it right the first time, and you probably can too).

Before you check the relief, make sure the string height is where you want it. Swapping in a new neck can result in a slight change in the neck angle (which is why things like shims and the Fender Micro-Tilt mechanism exist). You might have to raise or lower the strings (bridge saddles) to accommodate the new neck. Fender factory string height varies by model (as does player preference), but typical factory is 5/64" on the low E at the 12th fret, and 4/64" on the high E.

BTW, you must have gotten a dud of a neck on your Lite Ash Tele. I have one; I bought it ever so slightly used (at GC of all places). I wasn't looking for a guitar, but had taken my son to GC to fool around with the various amp stacks. I saw the Tele, picked it up, and knew I had to have it. It's got a neck that tops any Tele neck I've ever owned (I've probably owned 25 or so, including a couple of '52 Reissues). It's got more flame than any guitar I've ever seen save for my Wolfie and a DeMarino I once owned.

Good luck with your guitar!

• Members

Let us know (with pics
;)
) how it turns out!

Okay, believe it or not the seller shipped it Priority Mail and it arrived in 2 days from Illinois to Colorado. Not bad.

Took off the old neck, no problem, came off easily. Little bit of sawdust flew all over the pickups from the neck pocket. :mad:

Tested the new neck and it fit nice and snug and the screw holes lined up. So, I screwed the sucker on. Again, no problems and it appears to sit tight and snug in the neck pocket.

The neck beat the new vintage tuners I ordered, so I can't string her up and take her for a test run just yet. I like the feel of the neck. The neck has sort of a mild orange tint to it which doesn't really match the very whitish finish of the ash body. But, it kind of looks okay like that.

Anyway, here are a few pictures - sorry about the quality, but it is kind of dark in my home office, where they were taken:

100_1490.jpg

100_1489.jpg

100_1488.jpg

100_1491.jpg

• Members

All I have to say is that finishes can be applied or removed and that sharp fret ends can be filed and shaped.

If there is one outstanding quality about the Lite Ash, it's the terrific neck. I could understand your project if you didn't like the shape of the neck... but finish and fret ends warrant buying a new neck?

The finish on the 52s body is more amber in color, so it will never match up to the neck unless you refinish the body.

You said...

"Okay, I was thinking that the body looks like a dead ringer for the Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster. So, I was thinking that, if I could get a neck off of one of these guitars and attach it to my Special Lite Ash Tele body, then I would have a really great #1 guitar... I just think it will be close enough to a really expensive, great looking guitar to make me happy "

Sorry man but it takes more than a neck switch to make a really good guitar and I think you took on this project for the wrong reasons but I guess if that's what makes you happy, more power to you.

Just my take on it and n offense meant to you at all.

• Members

Sorry man but it takes more than a neck switch to make a really good guitar and I think you took on this project for the wrong reasons but I guess if that's what makes you happy, more power to you.

Just my take on it and n offense meant to you at all.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

My cash, my plan, and yes I am happy so far. So, what difference is it to you whether I took this project on for the right or wrong reasons? I did it because I wanted to do it.

I just didn't like the other neck. Not because of sharp fret edges, that would be stupid. But, I am not interested in refinishing the old neck, it didn't feel right to me. Frankly, the old neck felt cheap. If you like that neck, great for you. I wanted to go in a different direction.

• Members

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

My cash, my plan, and yes I am happy so far. So, what difference is it to you whether I took this project on for the right or wrong reasons? I did it because I wanted to do it.

I just didn't like the other neck. Not because of sharp fret edges, that would be stupid. But, I am not interested in refinishing the old neck, it didn't feel right to me. Frankly, the old neck felt cheap. If you like that neck, great for you. I wanted to go in a different direction.

As long as you're happy.

Congrats on the project!

:thu:

Archived