Line 6 Flextone

Lobsterbush

• Members

I had a Flextone III for a couple of years, but never really warmed-up to it. I now use (of all things) a Vypyr 15 that I adore. My quest was mostly for Tom Petty-ish "sweet spot" tones, and my Flextone seemed to be great for little-thumpy Fender tones and brutal stuff, but I never could get a good "just starting to break up" sound.

oldMattB

• Members
Cuz old technology always supports new technology. I can totally put the throttle body from a 1994 Mustang GT with a 5.0L Windsor engine on a 2005 Mustang GT with a 4.6L 3-valve Modular engine.
:rolleyes:

I see your point GilmourD, but I bought the FB brand new at an EXORBITANT price and very soon afterwards, as Line6 put out some better Pods for recording they did so by making my not-so-old floorboard obsolete and useless unless I stick to my first generation flextone... From my point of view, not nice.

• Members

There is a line 6 flextone in the local paper, price is pretty low and I was curious about the sound quality. Never played through one of the flextones, played through some other line 6 models and was not overly impressed ( that has been a few years ago). Just let me know in general their reputation. Sound quality, reliability, flexibility. I play mostly Jam, Indie, Classic rock kind of stuff if that helps (no brutalz needed here).

I owned a Flextone II combo for a couple of years, then sold it to a friend.

I didn't care much for the tone---the only way to describe it is that it sounded like someone covered a great amp with a thick pillow. Like, there was an awesome tone under there, SOMEWHERE, but I just couldn't unmuffle it.

Reliability and such was great, but the tone just wasn't there.

A little while later, I upgraded to a real tube combo, and the difference is night and day. It's not even a fancy tube combo---just a Crate V50. But it's massively better tone. And I have my trusty Marshall DSL100 when I needs more power :p

Archived