Line 6 Flextone

Lobsterbush

• Members

There is a line 6 flextone in the local paper, price is pretty low and I was curious about the sound quality. Never played through one of the flextones, played through some other line 6 models and was not overly impressed ( that has been a few years ago). Just let me know in general their reputation. Sound quality, reliability, flexibility. I play mostly Jam, Indie, Classic rock kind of stuff if that helps (no brutalz needed here).

• Members

i will definitely catch {censored} for this one, but i own and very much enjoy a Flextone 1x12 combo. i find the sound quality to be great and i can get more than enough useable tones out of the combinations of amp sims and effects. minus the jam, i play the same basic styles and it doesn't let me down. i even used to gig with it and it did fine there too, although there's no substitute for a nice tube amp running hot through an attenuator.

• Members

OK, I have had a Flextone II for almost 10 years... I have heard everyone say how they suck and how they aren't tubes, and they aren't this and that...

Yet, I have been complemented on my tone...

Why? Well, the presets suck... They overdo everything... Find a few settings that work, back off on the effects, and you have a pretty damn good amp...

And, these days, the price is right...

OK, let the Line 6 wars begin...

• Members

I have a Flextone III that I bought on a good deal. One day I like it better than the other. I do appreciate that it is built rugged and simple to use. You have to spend time with it to really get the tones you are looking for. As far as imitating tones, the best analogy I can think of is that it reminds me of frozen pizza. Not nearly as good as the real thing, but much better than nothing.

On the other hand, I have a Behringer Vampire 2x10. While it isn't built as rugged, I like it's modeled tones better.

Finally, I like having a couple of modeling amps around for certain situations. It is nice to have the versatility, and I don't always like worrying about my tube amps at some places.

• Members

Thanks for the quick info. I'll get the info on which model it is tomorrow hopefully and let you guys know so maybe we can discuss what a decent price would be. As far as the solid state debate I would rather that not even be brought into this thread (i'm sure it will anyways). I have been satisfied with a transtube peavey for years and have never needed a dime spent towards tube replacement or service work, and would rather not have to worry about it right now.

• Members

i will definitely catch {censored} for this one, but i own and very much enjoy a Flextone 1x12 combo. i find the sound quality to be great and i can get more than enough useable tones out of the combinations of amp sims and effects. minus the jam, i play the same basic styles and it doesn't let me down. i even used to gig with it and it did fine there too, although there's no substitute for a nice tube amp running hot through an attenuator.

You won't catch {censored} from me. My brother has a Flextone III XL (the 2x12 model) that I use quite often. It's a sick amp. I've used it for several gigs and the other guitarist in my old band used it also.

• Members

I bought a Line 6 Flextone 3 and was not too impressed with it. My buddy has a Flextone 2 and it sounds way better IMO. It's not a tube amp definitely, but it's a solid amp that will work. All the guys I've met that have a good Line 6 tone tell me the secret is an outboard EQ unit.

• Members
I bought a Line 6 Flextone 3 and was not too impressed with it. My buddy has a Flextone 2 and it sounds way better IMO. It's not a tube amp definitely, but it's a solid amp that will work. All the guys I've met that have a good Line 6 tone tell me the secret is an outboard EQ unit.

Sure, but looking at your signature, looks like you are plenty spoiled! :thu:

• Members

I borrowed a Flextone II 2x12 for a few months. It was OK. I could get some decent cleans out of it (I'm pretty picky on cleans) and great high gain tones... and a big variety of high gain tones. The slightly crunchy tones were its downfall in my opinion.

The Flextone III is much better in that regard. I don't know which version of Flextones are based on which POD, but I'd imagine the II is based on the POD 2.0 and the III is based on the XT. There's a pretty big advancement between 2.0 and XT.

I have and had a Tonelab that I run into the FX return of a Peavey Prowler. I was always impressed with that setup and though I rarely play it, I have no desire to sell it on the off chance I should need a setup like that again. I wasn't really tempted to buy the Flextone II, both because it was a 2x12 (and I would MUCH prefer a 1x12) and the IIIs I've played in shops sounds much better to my ears.

If I ever came across a great deal on a 1x12 Flextone III, I'd grab it but it seems only the 2x12s ever come up for sale around these parts. At one point last Christmas season, there were three different 2x12 Flextone IIIs around here. Two on craigslist and one at one of the Guitar Centers.

So... no hate from me and I've owned decent tube amps for the last 18 years or so.

• Members

man, I have had a flex tone III since they first came out. for what you said you want to use it for its AWESOME! After about 5 years of owning one I gave in to the tube lust just because thats what I was told to do if I want to "go to the next level" and I did.

I bought a fender devil and used it for about 8 months before realizing it couldn't do half of what the flex tone could. I sold it and bought and bought another guitar.

the devil had great cleans and sounded good with a fulldrive 2 sometimes (depended on what guitar I was using)

I can go on forever, but as far as the flex tone III make sure its the older one it sounds 10 time better than the revised. you can tell by if it has recto dual and not tread plate its the older one. I've A/B them and its crazy the differents. you would think the revised would sound better. :idk::blah:

• Members
man, I have had a flex tone III since they first came out. for what you said you want to use it for its AWESOME! After about 5 years of owning one I gave in to the tube lust just because thats what I was told to do if I want to "go to the next level" and I did.

I bought a fender devil and used it for about 8 months before realizing it couldn't do half of what the flex tone could. I sold it and bought and bought another guitar.

the devil had great cleans and sounded good with a fulldrive 2 sometimes (depended on what guitar I was using)

I can go on forever, but as far as the flex tone III make sure its the older one it sounds 10 time better than the revised. you can tell by if it has recto dual and not tread plate its the older one. I've A/B them and its crazy the differents. you would think the revised would sound better.
:idk::blah:

I didn't realize there were two versions of the Flextone III. :idk:

• Members

One thing about all the Flextones is that they depend on your ability to tweek settings to your taste. If you are a stick to the presets kinda person, you'll be less likely to be happy...

If you enjoy tweeking, these are fun amps.

I recently got a used Vetta... they typically go for a bit more than the used Flextones, but they're several big steps ahead in what they can do.

If you can afford to step up to a Vetta, I would encourage you to go that route.

M

• Members

I bought the flextone in '99 and soon after got the very expensive and rather cool (and huge) floorboard which more than doubles the practicality of the amp. It has among other things, a good wah and an Ernieball like taper volume pedal. Being part of this forum has put into my head that I need a good sounding tube amp with less numerous but better sounds. I might sell the amp but I'd be sad to lose that floorboard and what it does. I'd like an old POD tu use the pedal for direct in. Line6, as a show of respect for his customers, made sure that the FB is not compatible with the new stuff. :mad:

• Members
Line6, as a show of respect for his customers, made sure that the FB is not compatible with the new stuff.
:mad:

Cuz old technology always supports new technology. I can totally put the throttle body from a 1994 Mustang GT with a 5.0L Windsor engine on a 2005 Mustang GT with a 4.6L 3-valve Modular engine. :rolleyes:

• Members

I have a Flextone III 1X12 that I upgraded to the new firmware when that was released (what, 5 years ago now?). I think it's a great amp, especially for practice. Because it's a modeler, it sounds much better at bedroom volume than most tube amps I've tried. Yes, you do need to spend a little time tweaking the presets and you'll have a much easier time with it if you hook it up to your computer and use Line 6's editing software. But it's great value for what you get.

• Members

I own a Flextone II and find it to be a fine dependable workhorse. I added a 12" Eminence Red Coat Wizard which really brought out the demon in her. For small and mid size venues this Amp is surprisingly clear and warm sounding.

Archived