Worst halftime show I've seen...

steve_man

• Members

I wasn't into them much in the '80s, but now my tastes have changed I guess. Especially when you judge them against the crap that's being spewed out from the airwaves these days (like the Jonas Brothers).

That's setting the bar pretty low, isn't it? I'd prefer eating dry horse{censored} over eating wet horse{censored}, but that's not a ringing endorsement of eating dry horse{censored}. I'd rather leave the horse{censored} on the ground where it belongs and go get some barbecue. There's a lot of really great music around these days, but you won't hear it on the radio. That's pretty much been the case since the mid '70s, really.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As with any band....there are gonna be haters. I threw Bon Jovi out there, because they have been on the scene for nearly 30 years...have a huge following...and can rock a live show pretty hard. Also, they are not shriveled up old men trying to relive the 60's. I'm cool with the bands from the 60-70's, but if they can't play a show like the Superbowl well...they shouldn't, IMO. The Stones were okay, but they are all still together, and tour regularly.

Bon Jovi covers a huge audience, and spans several age groups. It would be a logical choice. Best rock band of all time? No...however, in the context of the Super Bowl, I'd much rather see a band like them over another Janet Jackson/Timberlake show...

• Members

As with any band....there are gonna be haters. I threw Bon Jovi out there, because they have been on the scene for nearly 30 years...have a huge following...and can rock a live show pretty hard.
Also, they are not shriveled up old men trying to relive the 60's.

comments like that are just plain stupid

these guys are the age they are... big deal... getting older happens to everyone... just because ignorant jackasses try to put you in a box doesn't mean you have to live in it

and 'trying to relive the 60s'... rubbish... they were invited to perform at an event... so they went and played their music... end of story

what's buddy guy?... a shriveled up old man in his 70s?... bb king... shriveled up old man in his 80s?... no.... they're 2 hugely influential dudes still out there doing their thing

you constantly sing the praises of u2... bono turns 50 this year... when is he too old?

i went to a restaurant recently where they had a jazz band... the dudes in the band were a wide range of ages...the piano player looked about 17 or 18... a guy that must have been in his 80s... (at least) came up and sat in with them for a while on clarinet... he was GREAT... i sat there thinking how cool it is to play music... how it's one thing where age doesn't really matter... where a 17 year old and an 80 year old can be part of something together and still be on equal terms

i can imagine what you'd have thought... 'look at that shriveled up old man trying to relive the 40s'

• Members

[YOUTUBE]KrZHPOeOxQQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Rp6-wG5LLqE[/YOUTUBE]

even if the who are way past their prime.. if they once did this

that gives them a pass to pull back the reins a bit mho...

but if you would rather see some spandex superhero rock..

getting all the little teen bobs all wet and flustered..

playing radio pop.. go head on pilgrim

I know fU*King well well what one i can hear again and again..

but you have fun with your justine timberlark posters

and your tigerbeat.. lets see how BJ fair in 30 years..

:wave:

• Members

The greatest hits medley approach was the worst for me. Pick two songs and just rock them out, would ya.

The Who was a great band, 'lil slop and all, and PT was a monster songwriter. But they have not aged well. And while I wouldn't tell them to stop performing, I don't think that the SB was the best way to showcase their current state in a dignified way.

SB

• Members

The greatest hits medley approach was the worst for me. Pick two songs and just rock them out, would ya.

The Who was a great band, 'lil slop and all, and PT was a monster songwriter. But they have not aged well. And while I wouldn't tell them to stop performing, I don't think that the SB was the best way to showcase their current state in a dignified way.

SB

Yup, you are right. It's cool if they still play, but like I said earlier, the Superbowl just was not a good venue for them at this stage of their career. Can they still play guitar, still sing? Well, sure they can. It just wasn't all that evident Sunday night.

Sulley, if you don't like Bon Jovi...that's fine...I really don't care...like I said before, I made that suggestion, as they are widely popular, play well live (normally), and rock a lot harder than a lot of the bands/artists out there. Talking about the Superbowl alone here...that's it.

..and as far as "old guys" playing music, I'm cool with that...providing they can perform up to the level that the venue they are in requires.

• Members

^^^^^

Ah, ah! :lol:

How are you Will? How are the wife studies going? Your kid?

You're quite right though, as soon as you add hands to football, it does create problems, with irrate irish and seemingly inadequate half time entertainment. :lol:

I say - keep the ball on the floor. And keep it round, it makes passing it easier. :)

• Members

^^^^^

Ah, ah!
:lol:

How are you Will? How are the wife studies going? Your kid?

You're quite right though, as soon as you add hands to
foot
ball, it does create problems, with irrate irish and seemingly inadequate half time entertainment.
:lol:

I say - keep the ball on the floor. And keep it round, it makes passing it easier.
:)

Fine thanks! Sold a Gibson and bought a Vintage to finance 6 physio sessions for him. Olivia is fine.

The English are not very good at keeping the ball on teh ground at the crucial moments, like penalties unfortunately. We still haven't got over the 'hand of god' incident either.

• Members

The Stone's halftime show would be my choice as worst halftime show. Typically sloppy (in a bad way) and mixed horribly. I can't comment on Justin- Jackson or any of the modern performers as they don't appeal to me. Paul McCartney's show was okay at best. Even Prince's much lauded show, IMO, didn't sound that great to me. I viewed a Who concert I think in the Ukraine on Palladia recently. Daltry's vocals were much shakier than at the SB, Townshend and the band (esp. Zak) were inspired. Daltry was better than I expected at the SB. I didn't mind the medley approach, musically the band never really gelled, but I thought they were more than adequate. Face it guys, these legends from the 60's are WAY past their prime. We can't expect them to be in their prime, when they're not in their prime. We go to see The Stones, Who, Macca, BB etc. because of their past work. We're in the presence of greatness,albeit probably tired, over the hill greatness. Judging from the Super bowl and the Ukraine concert, I'd say The Who's music still holds up quite well. I'd rather see a Who show now rather than a Stones show.

• Members

Fine thanks! Sold a Gibson and bought a Vintage to finance 6 physio sessions for him. Olivia is fine.

The English are not very good at keeping the ball on teh ground at the crucial moments, like penalties unfortunately. We still haven't got over the 'hand of god' incident either.

A good thing gibsons hold their value rather well!

So you are now part of the infamous metalheadUK/csm axis of evil getting vintages and singing their praises?

Hope the physio helps him good.

Yeap - for a penalty you just have to puke next to the penalty spot to relieve the nerves, a la Zidane.... I wonder where I've seen that...... ;)

Archived