Worst halftime show I've seen...

steve_man

• Members

I think that performance was pretty dismal, but then again they were busy playing before my mother was even born. I like the Who as a band but that performance just didn't seem like they were firing on all cylinders. The main thing have a problem with is that the NFL or whoever does the booking of the acts has been playing it pretty conservative since the titty fiasco of 2004. Prince has been the Youngest performer as of late and he was 47 and had bad hips. I think its just sad that they haven't had anybody younger than forty or a woman performer in 6 years. I think they are too worried about a tit slipping out and getting hit with that half a million fine.

Personally I think it would be cool to do a show like this: Have Beyonce and Jay-Z perform, Have something R&B and Rap, and then somebody like Brad Paisley and Sugarland play, bring in an older guitar guy then do some kind of crazy creative Medley. I think that would have something for everybody

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

football could not be played without padding. We'll, it could, but there would be 10+ concussions, stingers, and subsequent pissing of blood from kidney shots, a game if the hits stayed the same. I've played both and hits in football are 10x more vicious on a PLAY-BY-PLAY basis, not once or twice a "match"

• Members

It's a tough gig IMO. I mean you've got no time to prepare, not really sure when you go on, and then you've got to run out there to the biggest non-rock and roll crowd you'll ever see and play them your greatest hits and el pronto. I thought Tom Petty handled it the best and did the best half-time show I've seen so far.

• Members

football could not be played without padding. We'll, it could, but there would be 10+ concussions, stingers, and subsequent pissing of blood from kidney shots, a game if the hits stayed the same. I've played both and hits in football are 10x more vicious on a PLAY-BY-PLAY basis, not once or twice a "match"

I'm only have a joke here about American football and I know very little about it. However, you're not playing very competitive rugby if you're only tackled with real force once or twice... or maybe you were in the backs, rather than in the pack. Ever been spear-tackled? (Lifted by the feet and speared head first towards the earth). Ever been at the bottom of a ruck with eight, 6ft 3, 16 stone forwards advancing over your head, body and soft parts with studded boots?

The rugby players really don't hold back on the tackles either, although legally they are not allowed to tackle 'high' (ie. around the neck). I guess pads, and the nature of American football though, encourages high level, multiple pile ups, by men who can rest during time outs.

• Members

It's a tough gig?? Maybe to you but in my book its a piece of cake... Like my father told me "Let the music do the talking!" Last night the music spoke volumes about these guys, time to start hitting the nursing homes!! This was a pitiful performance, by anyone's standards.:cop:

• Members

They had one of the coolest stages I've ever seen - the lights were great. The performance seemed a little rough in some ways, but I still enjoyed it as much as I could any Super Bowl halftime show. I've never enjoyed the "greatest hits snippet" format of these shows, though, I want to see full songs. Anyways, it was better than Brittany Spears and Aerosmith.

• Members

I'm only have a joke here about American football and I know very little about it. However, you're not playing very competitive rugby if you're only tackled with real force once or twice... or maybe you were in the backs, rather than in the pack. Ever been spear-tackled? (Lifted by the feet and speared head first towards the earth). Ever been at the bottom of a ruck with eight, 6ft 3, 16 stone forwards advancing over your head, body and soft parts with studded boots?

The rugby players really don't hold back on the tackles either, although legally they are not allowed to tackle 'high' (ie. around the neck). I guess pads, and the nature of American football though, encourages high level, multiple pile ups, by men who can rest during time outs.

Adrian Peterson

Ht Wt 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic

6?1?? 217 lb 4.40 1.53 2.58 4.40 7.09 38

• Members

"Maybe modern music is so bad that everyone, including musicians, have gotten conditioned to lip syncing and auto tune and have forgotten what real rock performances are like"

I agree with this statement.

With digital this and digital that, these "young people" are used to perfection.

Yes, I said "young people".

All these references about "old people" are starting to piss me off.

I mean, come on now, those of us that are over 50 can remember going to many concerts that sounded just like this.

Loud and louder.

The Who are just a kick ass R&R band, and they just happen to be over 55.

They still Kick Ass.

I'm not whining or anything, but at 54, I feel like I'm 21 again after strapping on a guitar.

I'm sure all these older bands feel the same.

Even Keith.

keith_richards_2002.jpg

That was a damn good game.

Anyone see Kim Kardashian?

• Members

I dunno, I checked out the video prepared to see jandek or worse and they were fine: they were ROCK AND ROLL, the whole idea is to not have a sterile, pressed, clean, starched sound but LOUD rock and roll and mistakes bedamned. It's not supposed to be perfect, it's a feel thing.

And yes, I've heard way worse.

Pete, who's been showing you the hammerons? that was unexpected!

• Members

Thats two RUNNING BACKS, and a TE

average height and weight of linebackers is around 6' 2-6' 3 and 220-260 lbs.

take these two freaks of nature and run them at each other play after play full speed 6-10 yards apart.

rugby is a tough sport, REAL tough, don't get me wrong.

but you take these dudes, add in 4.2-4.5 speed cornerbacks that are quicker than you can blink, THEN add in defensive offensive line types benching 225lbs 36-51 times in a row, and your average rugby team would get {censored}housed and ragdolled.

but they still wear pads, get tired, and pull hamstrings...........

• Members

I suck at this. I tried really hard to be argumentative and didn't even get a wimper of disagreement.

Oh well, yesterday was just awesome as hell. I saw the Caps beat the Pens after being down 4-1 at the Verizon Center (and shutting up all of those obnoxious Pittsburgh fans) and got home in time to see the Saints win one finally. I hated to see Manning lose, but as long as it isn't the Steelers or Pats I couldn't be happier.

Considering I expected to be in an accident on the drive down in this frickin blizzard aftermath and not to get back in time for the game only for everything to word out and then The Who played at half time...are you frickin kidding me? It just can't get any better unless I got serviced by a circa 2002 Jessica Alba while cashing a lottery check. :lol:

Well maybe Sophia Loren circa 1972...that'd be sweet. :thu:

• Members

As for playing without pads...I'm totally for it. I've played a little Rugby and organized football for years. I also spent a few years playing some horrific pickup games behind the barracks. I've been hit so hard that I almost pooped my pants...and I am not exagerating one bit; it took everything I had to not stain my shorts. That particular hit left me in pain for 6 months everytime I took a breath.

The worst injury I ever got was playing organized flag football. Yeah, I know. Someone gave up on a play, I was running full speed by him, he flung his arms in disgust and caught me right in the jaw. He was over 6'3" and 250 and almost took me off my feet; screwed up my jaw for months.

But the only reason I got hurt was because I wasn't expecting the contact. If everyone is playing hard and knows it's coming they will protect themselves; primarily their heads. I think that everyone is aware of the concussion issues now; that helmet isn't a form of protection, it's a weapon out there. At least remove the facemask so that people will not lead with it. You can still play the game aggressively without using your head as a projectile.

And yeah, Rugby is similar, but the rules are very different. The beef I had with it was the lack of the forward pass, the non-stop play and the scrums. Put the NFL rules in there and maybe some light padding and let them loose. I bet there would be less injuries and we wouldn't have guys killing themselves 10 years after they retire because of dimensia.

• Members

Rugby and soccer players constantly takes breaks on the field, I enjoy all three sports, and watch all three, and I consistently see players chilling on the field for long periods of time, that doesn't happen on the football field, that's why there's break in action.

• Members

The reason this thread is negative IMO is that most here never actually seen true rock show, anything after say 1980 is completely choreographed...they think these new Woodstocks are real, that says it all to me.

If you watch the Masters in their prime, some of their shows were complete cluster{censored}s...

• Members

but steve,

if you would rather have Bon Joe V..

well..

thats says it all..

nice troll.

What's wrong with Bon Jovi? Because they didn't start in the 60's, they're not legit rock musicians? Or is it their success that makes them lame to you? If you don't like the thread stop posting in it...:wave:

• Members

What's wrong with Bon Jovi? Because they didn't start in the 60's, they're not legit rock musicians? Or is it their success that makes them lame to you? If you don't like the thread stop posting in it...
:wave:

whats wrong with bonjovi?

nothing if your a prepubescent 15 year old girl from NJ..

there is not wrong with the Joan Ass Brothers either if your a 9 year old..

but once you GRow up you want something more going into your ears then

WE GOTA HOLD ON TO WHAT WE GOT

IT DOSENT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE MAKE IT OR NOT

WE GOT EACH OTHER AND THATS A LOT

FOR LOVE..

success does not make you lame

but it means chances in the 90s and on to today its pandering to the lowest common denom.. there wes nothing wrong with Europe.. either..

some music has more weight then other..

more craft more substance..

BJ is Bubble gum panty pop..

its your ears man..

• Members

That's cool, most of the girls in my high school in 1988 would have agreed with you.

I wasn't into them much in the '80s, but now my tastes have changed I guess. Especially when you judge them against the crap that's being spewed out from the airwaves these days (like the Jonas Brothers).

I was never into the Who or their "rock opera" crap.:facepalm:

And as far as guitarists go, I prefer Sambora to Townsend.

Archived