Worst halftime show I've seen...

steve_man

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never really been a Who fan, but I watched the halftime show with an open mind since I have a pile of iTunes gift cards and nothing I really want to buy. I really, really wanted to be blown away by the Who.

But I agree with the OP, it came off disjointed and sounded almost like a high-school talent contest. Meh.

• Members

The fact that they were well known and far into their career makes it more unacceptable in my eyes. At that point they didn't need the money anymore, it was nothing but greed.

Do you know how much artists get paid to play the Superbowl? They get expenses only, that's how much. They use the opportunity to promote themselves on a massive stage (literally and figuratively). There's something wrong about self-promotion too?

• Members

Pearl Jam and RHCP might fit the bill.

I don't know if Pearl Jam fits the "safe" criteria with Eddie's propensity to spout off a political rant between bottles of wine. Although, to be fair, I don't know if that's his shtick anymore now that his guy is in the White House.

• Members

Do you know how much artists get paid to play the Superbowl? They get expenses only, that's how much. They use the opportunity to promote themselves on a massive stage (literally and figuratively). There's something wrong about self-promotion too?

And what does this have to do with ANYTHING I said?

Do you know how to read?

• Members

Boy, after all the hate here I was expecting something AWFUL, but I finally watched it and it's really pretty good! I think people don't know what musicians and music from that era were really like. Sloppy and loose and approximating the recording.

• Members

Well Prince is in a class by himself and it is a lot easier for one solo artist to retain his prime then a group, not to mention that his accompanying band were a lot younger and of course that adds to the effect of Prince still being on top of his game. Princes show was of course great and he is every bit as good as he was in the 80's. but he is a lot younger. The who almost by 20 years. You have to look at the basic show, the who put on not critique the playing, like a old memory it evokes a feeling, of how it used to be when we used to listen to them,

• Members
They were popular, not good. There is a difference.

They already banked millions. {censored} any artist who has the audacity to try to line their pockets more, by selling {censored}ing cars, beer or snack food. Marketing is evil {censored}ing bull{censored}. Tool stands for the point I'm pushing here. They've sold their music, and that's the point of the song. Selling out beyond that makes you a corporate whore, and a worthless human being. And since we're talking about Tool, who is that in Third Eye?

Bill Hicks. I really can't imagine some Bill Hicks fans being down with trying to make a few bills to wipe their ass with by selling some Dorritos.

Off the artistic roll call forever.

Admittedly, this doesn't have a whole lot to do with the Who, but still, you seem to be okay with some disgusting bull{censored} in our society, and that pisses me off a little.

Regardless of the advertising stuff, the Who are terrible.

hugo_chavez121091.jpg

• Members

The only half-time shows I bothered trying to catch (not into football) was Prince and the Stones. I liked both those shows.

But I thought Keith Richards must have a touch of the arthritis because his left index finger is now crooked.:cry:

Keith Richards once said that he thought it was racist that white performers have to be young and beautiful whereas black performers are accepted by audiences way into their older years. I agree with him on that.

I think the rockers of the '60s should be given as much attention and respect as old bluesman (like B.B. King) get. Age shouldn't be a factor.

But I guess that only happens if you're not really into fashion and popularity (like the Grammys), but rather, into really good music.

• Members

Tough crowd. Both the amp forum and this one Ive checked out mostly seemed to berate this performance. I turned up my TV and did my best to enjoy it for what it was... A huge performance that took them what, 10 minutes to settup?

It was good to hear the occasional muted chord because of PTs jacket. And the out of tune harmonies and vocals all made me feel good they didnt resort to lipsinking and air guitar. Even though I know parts may have been canned it seemed like a real rock show to me.

Archived