Worst halftime show I've seen...

steve_man

• Members

I was at a party for the game, and no one there but me was a musician. The overall vibe towards the show: "who cares." No one said anything derogatory, and no one was thrilled. People were more interested in drinking, eating, and flirting (amongst the singles crowd).

I thought The Who was an odd choice---almost as odd as U2. But, really, who else is gonna play? The organizers want a rock sound---who else can do it? Animal Collective? Modest Mouse? Who the {censored} wants to see some douche-bag, pseudo-intellectual whiny bitch in tiny pants drenching his voice in reverb and bemoaning "cha naaaaa, cha naaaaa" over and over?

Or, would we rather witness the "amazing, awe-inspiring" {censored} rock of Vampire Weekend? "Oooooh, they play AFRICAN rhythms! Let me cum in my pants!"

I thought they sounded fine, and the average football fan and game watcher didn't give a {censored} either way.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was at a party for the game, and no one there but me was a musician. The overall vibe towards the show: "who cares." No one said anything derogatory, and no one was thrilled. People were more interested in drinking, eating, and flirting (amongst the singles crowd).

I thought The Who was an odd choice---almost as odd as U2. But, really, who else is gonna play? The organizers want a rock sound---who else can do it? Animal Collective? Modest Mouse? Who the {censored} wants to see some douche-bag, pseudo-intellectual whiny bitch in tiny pants drenching his voice in reverb and bemoaning "cha naaaaa, cha naaaaa" over and over?

Or, would we rather witness the "amazing, awe-inspiring" {censored} rock of Vampire Weekend? "Oooooh, they play AFRICAN rhythms! Let me cum in my pants!"

I thought they sounded fine, and the average football fan and game watcher didn't give a {censored} either way.

Sheryl, Pearl Jam, Yoakum

• Members

So, what you're telling me is, you have no logical, cohesive response, so you resort to child's play? Good to know you're not worth responding to anymore.

i could meet you on an intellectual level goodbomb.. but it wouldn't be fair.... you'd be bringing a knife to a gun fight

so.... whatchu got listed on the bay right now big fella?

• Members

I was disappointed by the performance, because I saw The Who on that "rock honors" thing and they kicked ass. I believe the sound crew might be just as responsible, but it was hard to enjoy "Baba O'Riley" when those three massive chords randomly dropped out or came in at the wrong time. The drums, bass, and vocals were fine, but something just sounded off with the guitars. I don't blame the band, though. It was a football game, after all.

• Members

This post was awesome. :thu:

• Members

??? Umm, no, nobody could touch The Who in their prime. One of the greatest ever. I didn't even watch tonight (watched the game, not halftime - I have now watched it on youtube and it wasn't bad all, Townsend's singing wasn't great), after Enwhistle died though, I've lost interest in them. And I keep reading "the drummer" - that is Zack Starky, Ringo Star's son and he is a beast of the drummer and has been in The Who for many years.

And fail on the artistic credibility thing? WTF is that? So if an artist sells their work to make a living, they lose credibility? So Michael Angelo loses credibility because he took commissions to do work or Da Vinci? Dumbest comment EVER. You probably download and steal music because you don't think an artist deserves to make a living. A typical teenage, not knowing how the real world works comment. Go find and read the lyrics to the Tool song Hooker with a Penis, it will tell you how it is... Here it is for you

They were popular, not good. There is a difference.

They already banked millions. {censored} any artist who has the audacity to try to line their pockets more, by selling {censored}ing cars, beer or snack food. Marketing is evil {censored}ing bull{censored}. Tool stands for the point I'm pushing here. They've sold their music, and that's the point of the song. Selling out beyond that makes you a corporate whore, and a worthless human being. And since we're talking about Tool, who is that in Third Eye?

Bill Hicks. I really can't imagine some Bill Hicks fans being down with trying to make a few bills to wipe their ass with by selling some Dorritos.

[YOUTUBE]cfkvpcjNk7c[/YOUTUBE]

Off the artistic roll call forever.

Admittedly, this doesn't have a whole lot to do with the Who, but still, you seem to be okay with some disgusting bull{censored} in our society, and that pisses me off a little.

Regardless of the advertising stuff, the Who are terrible.

• Members

Off the artistic roll call forever.

Admittedly, this doesn't have a whole lot to do with the Who, but still, you seem to be okay with some disgusting bull{censored} in our society, and that pisses me off a little.

Regardless of the advertising stuff, the Who are terrible.

I'd buy you a flame suit, but... Nah.

I think, at the point they're at in their career, there's little wrong with "selling out." Just about everyone on the planet knows their songs, they're hardly new, and they're not playing them that often. What's wrong with handing them over to someone who'll use em? Advertising is just as important as anything else in media, from music to film. There's music videos that tie in directly with movies that the song is the "theme for," there are movies that thump cars and brand names, and there are brand products that have a movie's name written all over them, or a band's picture all over them. Media spans itself completely. Who cares?

• Moderators

Well, I've checked it all out and for a cold performance I reckon it's {censored}in well decent:confused:

[YOUTUBE]c6Io05fTLSg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]RCqgtb3Nby4[/YOUTUBE]

This ain't a gig, just some entertainment for {censored}s n giggles

It'd be a darn sight better than the {censored}e that went before and after masquerading as "football":lol:

• Members

Well, I've checked it all out and for a cold performance I reckon it's {censored}in well decent:confused:

I'm wid yeh there, me bhoy ...

Expecting the 'Orrible 'Oo to be the same people they were forty years ago -- or even expecting the songs to carry the same set of meanings and subtexts that they did then -- is naive at best. Considering that half the original line-up have left the set, they did a more than decent job of cramming as much of their history into twelve minutes. Yeah, Pete's voice -- never the strongest vocal instrument even back in the day -- is shot, but Roger still has him some lungs, Zak was heroic, Pino Palladino kept it nailed down, Pete's brother Simon on second guitar kept the texture right and I thought PT rocked despite the utter disintegration of his dress sense since the halcyon days of the Mod Era.

Whether they should've been on the show on account of them being Ancient Britons rather than Young Americans is a whole other conversation and one possibly rather more worth having, but considering the fact that they WERE there, they did exactly what they needed to. And I like PT's Strat/Vibro-King sound. Hell, he played a Gibson on Pinball Wizard -- what more'd'ya want?

Oh yeah -- and Springsteen 'teabagging' the camera is a recreation of the kneeslide PT himself did in 1977 durting Keith Moon's last-ever performance with the 'Oo -- the version of Won't Get Fooled Again which climaxes their rockdoc The Kids Are Alright. Whatever Broooooce may lack, a sense of the nuance of tradition ain't one of them.

• Members

I'd buy you a flame suit, but... Nah.

I think, at the point they're at in their career, there's little wrong with "selling out." Just about everyone on the planet knows their songs, they're hardly new, and they're not playing them that often. What's wrong with handing them over to someone who'll use em? Advertising is just as important as anything else in media, from music to film. There's music videos that tie in directly with movies that the song is the "theme for," there are movies that thump cars and brand names, and there are brand products that have a movie's name written all over them, or a band's picture all over them. Media spans itself completely. Who cares?

The fact that they were well known and far into their career makes it more unacceptable in my eyes. At that point they didn't need the money anymore, it was nothing but greed.

All of what you're saying is the problem though. There IS advertising everywhere. It's not a good thing. Why do we need companies convincing kids that they just NEED to have all this stupid stuff that's on TV? The world focuses far to much on selling everything, worthless {censored} that will fill the voids in our life once we give someone out money for something we don't need.

Archived