Guitars you wanted/couldn't afford as a kid, but never got around to buying later?

KoaFreak

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I owned a Nightswan, and something looks "off" with that pic. Mine didn't have a sculpted heel like that, and the fret markers are wrong.

Mine looked similar to this (same color), but had two humbuckers, no single coils. This one is odd too:

nightswan.JPG

I always wanted a Dana Scoop:

alvarez_scoop.jpg

and of course the Lynch Kamikazi was always cool. Dweezil Zappa had a neon green Charvel that looked killer at the time.

I have a Dana scoop very similar to that pic. The only difference is mine has a modulus graphite neck.

Max

• Members

I've noticed a curious Gibson-Fender Conformity Syndrome (GFCS)among adults, especially older adults---it simply feels
safe
to have a Strat or Les Paul just like everyone else, doesn't it? Fortuantely, I don't suffer from GFCS, although I do love them as well.
:thu:

While I don't want to get into any sort of brand war, I've noticed perhaps a related tendency to switch from "pointies" to more compact body designs like most Fenders and Gibsons. Even though I like and still use V's, Explorers, etc., there's just a lot less banging goin' on.

• Members

While I don't want to get into any sort of brand war, I've noticed perhaps a related tendency to switch from "pointies" to more compact body designs like most Fenders and Gibsons. Even though I like and still use V's, Explorers, etc., there's just a lot less banging goin' on.

i can only speak for myself, but in my teens i was definitely attracted to more "radical" body types and/or finishes. as i expanded my musical tastes and attention span to include other styles, an attraction was formed for the guitar styles i currently own and play. i still occasionally GAS for those pointy guitars (usually alcohol is involved), but what really pumps my blood these days can be seen in my current collection.

• Members

I've noticed a curious Gibson-Fender Conformity Syndrome (GFCS)among adults, especially older adults---it simply feels
safe
to have a Strat or Les Paul just like everyone else, doesn't it? Fortuantely, I don't suffer from GFCS, although I do love them as well.
:thu:

Even as kid I never fancied the really outrageous 'shape' guitars -- but I'm old enough for Strats and Firebirds to have been considered pretty outrageous. i do, however, remember the first time i ever saw a Flying V -- on Dave Davies of The Kinks during a TV performance of Dedicated Follower Of Fashion.

• Members

i wanted a nightswan as well as a peavey vandenberg

Man, I completely forgot about the NightSwan and Vandy... Ironically, my brother bought a late-80's Pepto-pink Peavey Tracer at one point.

It originally looked just like this one:

DSCF0510.jpg

We ended up stripping the finish & staining it a few years later. Eventually, it was sold to our nephew for $50 (older brother insisted that he pay something for it) & he's still playing it today :p

Archived