Guitars you wanted/couldn't afford as a kid, but never got around to buying later?

KoaFreak

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started playing ~1980, so I lusted after all of the flashy super-shredders:

crackle finishes:

_c106156_image_0.JPG

Mean_Street_HoloCrackle_1984_Kramer.jpg

Lynch's Skull & Bones guitar:

jfrog%207.jpg

Steinberger GM-series:

gm3.jpg

*I eventually bought the Spirit version of this guitar in blue/ green.

Stevie's flower-print Jem:

JEM77FP2.jpg

Satch's doodled guitar:

satriani-cover-2.jpg

& his 'Chromeboy':

122.jpg

To this day, I have yet to buy an Ibanez... I did borrow a friends Jem for a few weeks, though :idk:

CC Deville had some interesting BC Rich's:

JVCE109-star.jpg

BC-Conte-B-15.jpg

• Members

Pretty much any Gibson.... I really wanted an LP at a time, Customs, Studios.... but I've lost interest in all of them. Only the p90 equipped Juniors appeal now, stylistically, anyhow.... I could never justify what they go for here in the UK, though I've never seen a lefty anyhow. I'll eventually buy myself a Gordon Smith take on the singlecut Junior....

more American Fenders.... great guitars, but for the most part to me as a hobby player not worth what they sell for here i the UK. I did buy a 1994 MIA US Std Strat back in the day; nowadays, I'd much rather have the 50s RI Strats they were maknig in Japan back then.

In more general terms, I'm totally over humbuckers and figured maple in whatever form they may take.

• Members

Guitars you wanted/couldn't afford as a kid, but never got around to buying later?

All of them...

I guess if I had to narrow it down it would be an ESP M-II.

m2-ntb.jpg

Not sure if I want one as bad now since I'm not a big fan of EMGs. But I remember playing one when I was pretty new to guitar and thinking "this is like night and day" compared to what I had at the time. I've wanted one ever since.

My "sky's the limit" picks...

gl-kamikaze.jpg

gl-sunburst-tiger.jpg

• Members

I wanted, still want, and still can't afford (and probably won't be able to for years) an accurate copy/replica of Garcia's Tiger guitar (including the electronics). Hell, I'd like to have that combined with the MIDI stuff he added to his Wolf guitar in later years..

This one is a replica:

303861432_02d1fedcfe.jpg

Phil Gawan is making some reasonable copies, I believe Resurrection Guitars is still making some, hell so is Alembic for that matter, but all of them are still well out of any price range I can afford.

For instance, this is one of Gawan's in progress replicas:

zzz46%20T.jpg

That figuring is frickin' gorgeous :).

• Members

I always wanted a cherry 335. I guess I still do a little. It's just that there are so many 335 copies today and they really don't sound too unique. I can hold off. It was a totally hard guitar to draw when I was a kid, too. F holes are a bitch. I got over it and when marty mcfly played one in back to the future, I started itching again. Every once in a while I see one that I really think is cool. But I just wouldn't spend that kind of dough on one.

• Members

I always wanted the George Lynch Skulls & Snakes ESP, but never got it (obviously way over my price range at the time). I saw one on ebay a couple weeks ago and was a little bit tempted, but I have other priorities. It's not at all my style any more, but it would still be kind of fun to have for nostalgic reasons.

ESP%20George%20Lynch%20Signature%20SKULL

• Members

My local mom-and-pop had a black LP Custom that I wanted with every fiber of my being at 15. It was $710 in 1976 - I think that's equivalent to about $2000 now. I could afford one now, but the 70s Customs I run across have been lousy compared to modern LPs, even Studios.

• Members

I started playing ~1980, so I lusted after all of the flashy super-shredders:

crackle finishes:

_c106156_image_0.JPG

Mean_Street_HoloCrackle_1984_Kramer.jpg

Lynch's Skull & Bones guitar:

jfrog%207.jpg

Stevie's flower-print Jem:

JEM77FP2.jpg

Satch's doodled guitar:

satriani-cover-2.jpg

& his 'Chromeboy':

122.jpg
To this day, I have yet to buy an Ibanez... I did borrow a friends Jem for a few weeks, though
:idk:

CC Deville had some
interesting
BC Rich's:

JVCE109-star.jpg

BC-Conte-B-15.jpg

Same here.

Don't forget the day-glo JEMs, BC Rich's, Kramers. etc.

I always wanted the Kramer/Blaze Nightswan with the thunderstorm paintjob

espswan.jpg

• Members

espswan.jpg

I owned a Nightswan, and something looks "off" with that pic. Mine didn't have a sculpted heel like that, and the fret markers are wrong.

Mine looked similar to this (same color), but had two humbuckers, no single coils. This one is odd too:

nightswan.JPG

I always wanted a Dana Scoop:

alvarez_scoop.jpg

and of course the Lynch Kamikazi was always cool. Dweezil Zappa had a neon green Charvel that looked killer at the time.

• Members

Ahh, some interesting choices. :)

The only radical body I've had was the Gibson V, still love that guitar, although my preference is for more somewhat Strat-shaped guitars today. I NEVER liked custom graphic guitars much, with the exception of the Eerie Dess Swirl for the Jackson Soloists. I do recall some FIRE SALE prices in pawn shops for radical body and/or custom graphics shredders in the early '90s when the Grunge trend started and you couldn't GIVE a shredder away. :lol::lol:

I've noticed a curious Gibson-Fender Conformity Syndrome (GFCS)among adults, especially older adults---it simply feels safe to have a Strat or Les Paul just like everyone else, doesn't it? Fortuantely, I don't suffer from GFCS, although I do love them as well. :thu:

• Members

Given that I grew up in the 60s and 70s, most of the guitars I wanted then I STILL probably couldn't afford! Two that I did buy (and stupidly let slip away) were an original custom Telecaster from somewhere in the mid-70s and a 62-ish Les Paul Junior. I guess I can't afford even the ones I DID buy then!!! :mad:

• Members

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-N-Series-N4-Electric-Guitar?sku=501599&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=299975401

Thank god I never got around to buying one of these.

That's actually a very good guitar, although I could do without the giant "N4" on that particular one. :facepalm: And the Stephens extended cutaway feels........weird.

Archived