Guitars you wanted/couldn't afford as a kid, but never got around to buying later?

KoaFreak

• Members

I started playing in '89 and was very much into learning metal/shred guitar as much as possible.

I always wanted a black early '90s Charvel 650 Custom (basically a Jackson Soloist Pro with different name) and electric blue Ibanez RG770, two of the kings of shred at the time, but beyond my teenage budget. Same for the rare and very tasty sunburst flamed maple Charvel 750.

Years have gone by, but I never picked either one up, even though I could have easily. The 650 and 770 happen to be quite cheap these days for what you get, but the 750 is in more inflated territory. I don't really need buy yet another guitar now with the recession ( :facepalm: ) and I already have the super strat bases covered, but it still tempts me a bit when I see one on ebay....

I still plan to get all three of these at some point......before I die. :facepalm:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started learning guitar during the hair metal 80s so I always wanted a BC Rich Warlock with a Kahler trem, a la Mick Mars and Craig Goldy. By the time I could afford to get one, I "outgrew" the 80s metal thing. These days, I don't really have any desire to get one, though I occasionally have to fight the impulse buy urge when I'm surfing ebay.

• Members

I started learning guitar during the hair metal 80s so I always wanted a BC Rich Warlock with a Kahler trem, a la Mick Mars and Craig Goldy. By the time I could afford to get one, I "outgrew" the 80s metal thing. These days, I don't really have any desire to get one, though I occasionally have to fight the impulse buy urge when I'm surfing ebay.

I like the way Warlocks can look on other people, but never fancied one myself. The Eagle has the least radical shape of all the B.C.s and can pass for a grownup's guitar more easily, although I would still love to have a USA Mockingbird or Bich with a tasteful finish. :cool:

• Members

Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster - always thought they looked cool, and would be great for a Nuge kind of thing. They cost waaay too much, and nowadays, I'm not half the Gibson fangirl I used to be.

p1_ux5rlvq0u_ss.jpg

Gibson ES-335 - I LOVED Alex Lifeson's sound in the 70s, when his main axe was either a 335 or a 355. I've had a couple of Ibby 335 copies. That fixed my GAS for a 335.

p31520h-35793b0054e88fa3bdbcb95f17473ea7

• Members

I didn't play guitar when I was a kid, so unrequited guitar longing was foreign to me. What I dreamed about, what I imagined as the summit of happiness, was to own a Weatherby rifle (for those who don't know firearms, Weatherbys are sort of an Anderson/Suhr tier weapon, as compared to the Fender/Gibson level of rifle represented by Remington and Winchester). Now I could afford one, but I don't have anyplace to go shooting. These days, my unfulfilled desire focuses on an Anderson Cobra (well, that and Maggie Gyllenhaal).

• Members

The only two guitar I've ever REALLY wanted that I haven't bought is a Black Beauty with two pickups and the really aged looking binding. I've played 4 of them, 3 vintage, one from about 2007 or so and one Epiphone from about a year later. I couldn't cough up the money for any of them and honestly, the feel of them didn't really blow me away either. And I'd love to have an original Mosrite Ventures or a very good copy thereof. I remember playing one really nice one in the late 80s with three pickups and a trem though I'd MUCH prefer a 2 pickup version.

I'm 37 and have been playing electric since I was 10 Growing up, I didn't really jones for anything back in the day. I had a Japanese Fender as my first guitar, then a Beretta then an carved top Soloist. I actually had nicer guitars back then than I do now, but I'm happier now. Probably growing up in Dallas where over the course of a year, I could probably play anything I wanted between the big market and two of the biggest shows... maybe that took away some of the allure or the mystique that might have been there had I not

• Members

At one point or another, I've owned almost all of the guitars I wanted as a kid.

When I was in high school, I had a Charvel Model 3 and then traded it in on a US Jackson Soloist. As I got older I had each of the following:

Peavey Vandenberg

Kramer Baretta (had 2 with graphic finishes)

Kramer Floyd Rose Sig

Gibson Explorer

I wanted an Ibanez Jem, but ended up with a Heartfield Talon V instead.

The guitars I wanted but never got were:

ESP Mirage

Kramer Nightswan with lightning graphics

Yamaha RGZ Blues Saraceno model (plaid)

BC Rich Gunslinger

Spector Blackhawk

I don't miss any of those old guitars I owned (except the Model 3) nor do I plan to purchase any of the others that I used to want even though I could afford them now.

Archived