Popular guitar finishes you just don't... get.

PancakeBunny

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dig most finishes, if it fits the guitar. I.e. some colours fit an 80's style guitar, but I would dislike them on a classic les paul or strat.

I'm not too fond of dyed-in quilted tops (e.g. "black wash", etc.), looks like the guitar is kinda dirty. However, if said guitar played like a dream, I wouldn't give a rodent's behind.

Saying you dislike spalted maple because it's rot is like saying cheese should never have been invented ;)

• Members

Saying you dislike spalted maple because it's rot is like saying cheese should never have been invented
;)

Theres a world of difference between food and guitar finishes lol

Namely one is supposed to look good, and the other is supposed to be eaten...

Plus cheese looks better than spalted maple anyway ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Gee I am surprised no one has said camaflouge[ did I spell that right?]or tigerstripes yet.Like those George Lynch type guitars. You earn extra points if you have the matching pants:facepalm::lol:.Those would be at the top of my suck list.:facepalm::facepalm::bor:

• Members
Green. I'm talking real, honest to goodness green, not surf green or cadillac green (those are cool) Just plain old green. If they have quilt or curl finishes, it makes it even worse.

green.jpg?t=1264148623

or this:

green-guitar1.jpg

Carvin_California_top.jpg

Same here. I HATE green guitars and motorcycles. Green Is a bad luck color for both of them.

• Members

I can't stand:
- silverburst (like the other guys said, it looks like black & white....)
silverburst3.jpg

- green color guitar
o_wbTn6b4j0dqzyEy.jpg

- intensive Cherry sunburst (3 tone sunburst especially)
USED%20ESP%20J-6%20Cherry%20Sunburst%206

- natural wood strat (too "country" for me)
natural_stratocaster_1975_001.jpg

- Red wine strat
strat2003.jpg

- Anything from Carvin (too 80's looking, try too hard, tone it down, will you?)
carvin_6198.jpg

- Anything from ESP (too 80's metal, poser oriented)
espUtrirycheUguitar_ad.jpg

• Members

I love gold top, my Carin is Platinum Gold top. I always disliked quilt and flame but they have grown on me... especially subtle flame on the right body shape guitar and with the right color over it. What I really can't stand is "gold tops" that aren't gold tops... "gold tops" where the whole body & back of the neck are gold. F that. My Les Paul Classic was a Heritage Cherry and I loved it. Not a big fan of straight black guitars... especially strats with rosewood FBs. Black and maple = OK Black&Maple
http://www.myspace.com/tonytoogood9

• Members
Funny thread. I'm pretty sure ever finish and wood type has been listed in here somewhere. If someone tried to live by this, they'd end up playing air guitar.

Agreed.

The fact that people's taste in appearance varies so much is the reason that there are so many types of guitar finish.

As for the Goldtop haters ... that's just crazy :eek:

• Members

Clown burst, gecko burst (yikes!), silver burst, bright lemon yellow, neon colors...

As for certain colors like green, blue, etc. It really depends on the guitar, LP's don't "wear" that well. Others, especially strat types, can look very good in those finish with the right wood grain and burst job. I generally don't like green but I almost always like blue guitars.

Archived