Popular guitar finishes you just don't... get.

PancakeBunny

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a secret fondness for goldtops, sparkly silver finishes (a la Gretsch), etc. but my essential modesty (I'm talking about style here - not necessarily ego) prevents me from indulging it. I sometimes fantasize about being like Chris Isaak -- wearing a mirrored jacket and playing a sparkly, silver guitar -- but I could probably never bring it off... :(

Same reason I don't have a "V" -- I'm just not sure a 50-something year old can bring that off credibly.

• Members

2/3-tone sunbursts. The classic "black edges to brown to yellowish" thing you see especially on Strats. My first guitar was that color and I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. It amazes me why so many guitars are made in that color. Not fond of the silverburst either.

Also the amount of totally black guitars. I've got one and it's the most boring finish ever. I think I should just cram it full of stickers or do EVH taping on it.

• Members
what a bunch of ladybitches, talking about colors and girly {censored}

just play the {censored}er

Exactly...........

I guess somebody needs to invent a freakin' invisible guitar, because everyone here has just put every single color and finish on the "hate" list.

:cop:

• Members

I have an ambivalent attitude toward sunburst. Some guitars look okay in sunburst (hollow, semi-hollow, Les Paul style) but I don't care for Fender style guitars in sunburst (Strat or Jazzmaster shaped bodies). Two colour sunbursts are okay, but I don't care for three colour sunbursts.

Archived