Popular guitar finishes you just don't... get.

PancakeBunny

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't care much for highly-figured wood. Flame, quilt, burled, claw, meh. When it comes to Les Pauls, I like plaintops all the way as far as any kind of burst goes where youcan see the wood grain.

I also think gold hardware looks like gaudy crap on 99% of guitars.

• Members

Goldtop - tacky........... i quite like silverburst however.

graphics with girls/lightning/flames/skulls/etc

fender sunburst/tobacco burst - boring.

relics

"punk" kids that put 20 stickers on their guitar with half of them peeling off

oh and faded creamy white.... which seems to be mostly fenders.

• Members

You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize I just kind of gravitate towards plainer instruments for the most part.

It seems like I've gotten tired of all the metallic-painted and flashy guitars I've had over the years in favor of more laid-back looks.

Now, my #1 guitar at this time happens to be fire-engine red and has some gaudy cosmetic stuff, but looking back I have tended to bond more with less flashy guitars.

I really, really like a lot of Fender metallic finishes and think they look hot much of the time--various golds, candy apple red, lake placid blue, sherwood green, etc. But it seems like I just don't really want to own one myself.

When it comes down to it, the guitars that appeal to me most are classic bursts (subtle), natural wood and good old black and white. I really dig creamy, off-white guitars, like my Tele.

On the other hand, I sometimes see some really pimpish glitter jobs--like some of the more way-out rockabilly machines or some of the more outlandish old 60s import guitars like Ekos and Goyas--that are so over-the-top they are just inherently cool.

:idk:

• Members

Goldtops, clownburst les pauls, sparkle flake finishes (although metallics are nice).

I also hate veneer flametops.

If you put a solid flametop on a guitar, that's fine, the guitar needs a maple top and it might as well be pretty when you do it.

Veneer flametops OTOH add nothing to the tone and are just there for show. Why not just leave the guitar as a plaintop?

• Members

Goldtops, clownburst les pauls, sparkle flake finishes (although metallics are nice).

If you put a solid flametop on a guitar, that's fine, the guitar needs a maple top and it might as well be pretty when you do it.

Veneer flametops OTOH add nothing to the tone and are just there for show. Why not just leave the guitar as a plaintop?

Veneers...A guitar doesn't need a painted finish. Why is a veneer and some clear coat any different than a painted guitar body? What you see on the outside is not what is underneath.

• Members

Because mahogany is ugly:thu:

• Members

Because mahogany is ugly:thu:

Nothing wrong with the look of mahogany.

It's not the maple tops I dislike, it's when people have a plain maple top on a guitar which is perfectly nice to look at, but they then put a very thin flamed/quilted maple veneer over the top of the plain maple purely for looks.

That bugs me. It hasn't improved the quality or the tone of the instrument at all.

Archived