Anyone buy the GFS Vintage 59 HB's?

GuitarNoobie

• Members

I had one at the bridge of a basswood Tele. It wasn't bad. I have a SD 59 in the neck of another guitar and didn't think they were too far off.

so you thought they were close to the SD, but guitarzan thought otherwise... :confused:

it's all subjective... thanks for you feedback..

• Members

deciding what i am gonna put in may latest build.

probably will order some BG pups eventually but there is a 6 week delay right now...

cool, thanks for the info...

so you thought they were close to the SD, but guitarzan thought otherwise...
:confused:

it's all subjective... thanks for you feedback..

well worth the 6 weeks wait...:thu:

• Members

I had the neck v59, thought it was horrible.

Flat, dull, and cheap sounding.

Will Chan has a clip of the GFS mean-90s, I thought that clip sounded pretty good actually, starts at 3:00.

[YOUTUBE]zoRW8Wj7dWc[/YOUTUBE]

If some one twisted my arm to buy another GFS pickup, that is the one I would try. Other then that, I would look for a used seymour duncan Jazz.

• Members

I currently have the GFS '59 in the bridge position of an Epiphone Dot Studio I am selling. It gets pretty close to Angus Young territory, but other than that particular type of tone,, ,pretty sucky. Clean tones are thin as hell.

However, I have a Dream 90 in the neck and it sounds really good.

• Members

to elaborate, Danny - I just thought the pup sounded dull, in a word - no sparkle, not a hint of chime to me, not what I was hoping for

when do ya need 'em by? I'll send you a couple good loaner pups to play with until you can get the BGs - I got several good ones sitting here uninstalled, and nothing to put 'em in - the

y might as well spend a few weeks in your guitar

• Members

I have them in a washburn V. I had a sh6 in the bridge, way to high end and noisy. I figured why not try GFS 59's since they're lower output and maybe the guitar was to resonant for high output pickups.

The neck 59 is warm and creamy I really like it alot. For a clean blues to heavy blues its great, pairs nicely with a tube amp, clean or distorted. I would go as far as saying it would pass as a pickup double the price.

Now the bridge, Just switching over you hear right away, tinny thin, well sounds like a cheap guitar, no balls. I'm not gonna say totally terrible but no duncan

Gonna keep the neck and replace the bridge.

• Members

I have them in a washburn V. I had a sh6 in the bridge, way to high end and noisy. I figured why not try GFS 59's since they're lower output and maybe the guitar was to resonant for high output pickups.

The neck 59 is warm and creamy I really like it alot. For a clean blues to heavy blues its great, pairs nicely with a tube amp, clean or distorted. I would go as far as saying it would pass as a pickup double the price.

Now the bridge, Just switching over you hear right away, tinny thin, well sounds like a cheap guitar, no balls. I'm not gonna say totally terrible but no duncan

Gonna keep the neck and replace the bridge.

another vote for thin, at least on the bridge...

thanks...

you guys have convinced me to stay away...

i will just order some BG's and wire up a couple of spares until they arrive... :thu:

Archived