So I've been offered a VG Strat... School me

timmay8612

• Members

I've got one of the old ones that used the external VG processor. Mine is a straight up MIA strat with the Roland pickup system installed and it's a great guitar.

The only issue I have with the new VG strats is that there is a lot of wood removed for the battery compartment.

• Members
A buddy has one and likes the modeling tones. It does eat batteries, so have a few on hand if you plan to gig it as sometimes a fresh battery won't get you through a night.

Otherwise it's an average MIA Strat.

This. :thu:

I have one and to be honest, I don't use the modeling tones all that much, but they're always available to add a little color, which is nice. In every other respect as Verne said, "it is an MIA strat". It looks, feels, plays and sounds exactly like the fifty million other genuine MIA strats in the world. So you can think of it as a standard strat with a few extra tricks up its sleeve.

The battery story is interesting. It takes 4 x AA batts in a compartment in the back and the little blue light comes on whenever you plug in a cord, so there is some drain there even if you aren't actually playing anything. But the drain is almost nothing unless you're actually using the Roland settings (two extra knobs)

So you can play for quite a lot longer than you might think based on the HCEG opinion crew and despite anything you might hear to the contrary, the "normal strat" part of the guitar works completely fine even if you pull the battery pack out altogether.

I use cheap rechargeables in mine and change them every once in a great while. More often if I am playing out and actually using the other settings. I would recommend having a fresh set on hand if you do use the modeling functions when you're playing out, but honestly you could just toss in a fresh set before you head out and you would be completely fine.

• Members

I don't really care for 12 string all that much to be honest. I'm kinda wondering if I should hold out for something better than the standard American quality if I'm not into the modeling features. Lets put it this way...

Used American Standard sells about $7-800 these days.

My Carvin sells used between $9-1000 these days...

If I don't really want it for the modeling features, I suppose the VG isn't really worth it for me is it? Perhaps I just need to play the thing to appreciate it...

• Members

Probably a good call! I'm kinda torn, because its probably my last choice of acceptable finishes. I'm weird about Strats. Don't care for black, red, or sunbursts, and its a burst. I'd do the burst, but I'd prefer just about any other color. Maybe thats why I'm shying away.

Archived