Would I regret selling most of my gear and buying.........

mfergel

• Members

OK. I've got about half a dozen Agiles, a few Fenders, Washburns, Parker, Schecter, etc. Numerous preamps, several amps, effects gear, etc. Too much {censored} taking up space. I was thinking of cutting the guitars down to around 6 or 8 total and add in a Washburn N4 Vintage, getting rid of pretty much all of my amps/preamps/etc and getting an Axe FX, tube power amp, foot controller (maybe keep my two Carvin Legacy 2x12's) or maybey get a couple of Genz Benz 2x12's

It's not that the stuff I have now is horrible. I like my GSP1101, I like my Carvin Legacy, I like my Rockmaster preamp. I can't haul a 4x12 cabinet in my Mustang, I have guitars that I actually forget I have.

I know I'd really miss some of that stuff if I get rid of it, especially some of the guitars but maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and slim down the gear and replace it with not just a bunch of different good items but a few 'great' items.

• Members

A long time ago I sold all my crap and bought nicer stuff. I'm not saying you have crap - I'm saying what I did.

I had a lot of decent but not great stuff and I sold it all and bought less really nice stuff.

It worked for me and cured me of buying lower end "internet fad" guitars.

If you're asking the question you're probably wanting better stuff.

• Members

It's not to fully have better stuff so much. I plan to keep 3 of my most heavily used Agile 3000's, probably keep an OLP MM1, my Squier Affinity Tele - because it gets sounds the rest of my stuff doesn't, maybe keep the Squier 51 I customized. Keep my old Kramer Barretta neck/Pacer body. I don't play it much anymore, but it was my first 'real' guitar. Ditch the two Fender MIM strats, dump the Parker Nightfly, dump the Schecter 7-string, get rid of dozens of Ibanez body projects I have going (except for my JEM replica). Finish up a couple of other project guitars and get rid of those. Sell my two acoustics and get the really nice Breedlove I've been craving for some time. I'm sure the girlfriend would love it if I had less gear around.

• Members

It's not to fully have better stuff so much. I plan to keep 3 of my most heavily used Agile 3000's, probably keep an OLP MM1, my Squier Affinity Tele - because it gets sounds the rest of my stuff doesn't, maybe keep the Squier 51 I customized. Keep my old Kramer Barretta neck/Pacer body. I don't play it much anymore, but it was my first 'real' guitar. Ditch the two Fender MIM strats, dump the Parker Nightfly, dump the Schecter 7-string, get rid of dozens of Ibanez body projects I have going (except for my JEM replica). Finish up a couple of other project guitars and get rid of those. Sell my two acoustics and get the really nice Breedlove I've been craving for some time. I'm sure the girlfriend would love it if I had less gear around.

Sounds like a good plan to me. And yes, the GF, especially if she ever becomes a wife, is guaranteed to really dislike 20 guitars in the house. Trust me.

• Members

Sounds like a good plan to me. And yes, the GF, especially if she ever becomes a wife, is guaranteed to really dislike 20 guitars in the house. Trust me.

Yeah, she's commented about the guitars a few times. She has a bigger problem though with my collection of years of guitar/music related magazines.

• Members

It sounds like you could well be a hoarder.

Don't think about it too much. Chuck what you know you can live without on eBay with low start prices, let them get to their natural points, and reap the money you've made.

I did that. I used to have 11 guitars. From time to time, I do miss each of the ones I sold but overall I'm more than happy with what I have now. There's nothing I can't get with the 5 guitars I have now, 2 of which are superfluous and only kept as they were (extremely expensive) presents.

• Members

some of us amassed our lower priced guitar collection to enjoy not only playing guitar but looking/seeking the tonage of the different styles of guitars on the market.

If you now know what you like - cull the herd and get it.

Personally I have three/four favs and the rest of my collection is becoming obsolete.

• Members

It is nice to buy the cheaper stuff to learn what it is that you like, neck shapes and widths, body shapes, types of frets,

Humbucker verses single coil, what type amps you like, effects and so on.

Think it comes down to finding a gutair that feels good in your hands. Once you get that, you can put any pickups in it that you like, or if you are lucky, you can even keep it stock.

Feel of guitar + pickups that you like + amp that you like = a happy guitar player imo.

The amount that I have spent on guitars in the past has had next to nothing to do with how much I enjoyed those guitars. Actually, the more I've spent the less satisfied I have been.

My experience tells me that very solid and enjoyable guitars, and amps, can be bought in the $200 to $650 mint condition used arena.

I wouldn't want to have more than about 4 guitars though.

• Members

Hoarder...........well, not completely but I can be known to go to extremes when it comes to my hobbies. I tend to be a bit more organized about it than most hoarders. The guitars I don't play/keep out are kept in cases/gig bags and lined up nicely. Unused preamps and effects are stacked in a spare area off in a corner.

With the guitars, I do like having the matching Agile AL-3000's, as the band I was playing with would do songs in the original keys (why???) so I would have them tuned E, Eb, D and I knew they would sound and feel the same from guitar to guitar. Several of the guitars were impulse buys because they were good deals, like a Japanese Epiphone Elite Custom with case. I don't really play it though and I know I could easily sell it for what I paid for it. Same goes with the Parker Nightfly. The Schecter 7-string was a $100 find and I hate to get rid of it but I don't really play anything that needs a 7-string. You get the point though. Love my Carvin Legacy but aside from using the power amp section for the Digitech GSP1101 I don't use it as my tone much anymore. Since I hooked my Peavey Rockmaster up again, I've actually been enjoying the heck out of that lately.

There's been a lot of stuff I've bought and sold over the years. Most I don't really regret getting rid of. Only guitar I really regret selling was an original Road Flare Red Ibanez RG550. It was the first 'new' guitar that I ever bought and it was a great guitar.

I guess one of my big fears is resisting the urge to amass gear again.

• Members

I got an Axe-Fx a couple of years ago. It doesn't always cure my desire to just plug and play a nice amp, but it sounds great. If I want a new amp, I can just set up a new preset and pull in one of the amps that I'm not familiar with and start playing. A little tweak here and there and you're golden. The company offers great support and is always refining the product.

I just decided to sell a couple of my less used guitars and start saving up for a truly great guitar. I don't know what I'll go with in the end, but for what I'm doing right now, I'm leaning towards a PRS 513.

• Members
I just decided to sell a couple of my less used guitars and start saving up for a truly great guitar. I don't know what I'll go with in the end, but for what I'm doing right now, I'm leaning towards a PRS 513.

I was really disappointed with the 513 when I tried it. Quite a bitter experience actually; I bought it for $4700 over here, sold it for $3700 and then when the Brazilian ones got discontinued they now don't sell for less than $6000 really. :facepalm:

What're you looking for from a guitar?

• Members
I was really disappointed with the 513 when I tried it. Quite a bitter experience actually; I bought it for $4700 over here, sold it for $3700 and then when the Brazilian ones got discontinued they now don't sell for less than $6000 really.
:facepalm:

What're you looking for from a guitar?

Well, right now I want something that sounds great and is versatile. I like the fact that I could switch between three different sets of tones without having to change a guitar. I am not trying to mirror anyone's specific tone so am open to other options, or I should say, buy the time I am ready to buy, I may want something different. I was also looking at the Swamp Ash Special, DGT, and McCarty.

I have found that my favorite guitars have mahogany bodies with a set mahogany neck and P-90 or Mini-hums, but I have enjoyed both Teles and Strats too.

• Members

I'd definitely consider it. There's a point where more stuff doesn't help you get a better sound. I've typically found that I have one really killer guitar of a certain type than it completely eliminates GAS for that body style - for example my Heritage 535 is awesome and I no longer lust over any 335-type guitars whatsoever. Otherwise you're always hunting - if I had bought an Epi Dot or something I'd still be looking for something better. Understandably, there's definitely a usefulness for multiples for different tunings etc.

I think the best suggestion would be to try all that other stuff you're considering buying first. If you like it, do it. It would really suck to be in a situation where you buy the Axe-FX and realize you liked your old stuff more.

• Members

Just go for it- if you make an incorrect decision you can always get something else later-as much as we all like to obsess, its just stuff, you won't die with or without any of it. Who knows, you may be happier than you ever have been before.

• Members

Well, right now I want something that sounds great and is versatile. I like the fact that I could switch between three different sets of tones without having to change a guitar. I am not trying to mirror anyone's specific tone so am open to other options, or I should say, buy the time I am ready to buy, I may want something different. I was also looking at the Swamp Ash Special, DGT, and McCarty.

I have found that my favorite guitars have mahogany bodies with a set mahogany neck and P-90 or Mini-hums, but I have enjoyed both Teles and Strats too.

Finding your own tone is kind of important! :)

The Swamp Ash Special is an awesome guitar, bowled me over more than the 513 and has a similar setup. Very Fender-like thanks to the combo of ash body, maple neck & bolt-on characteristics. Lovely guitar.

The DGT is ridiculously versatile, plays like a McCarty really. I don't want one because of the artist stigma. :rolleyes:

The McCarty is great, Willcutt guitar shop still have a few of their special run McCarty Trems lying around. Basically a Singlecut Trem with a doublecut body. Good switching options, very Les Paul-esque feel... thanks to the input from good ol' Ted... I just like to have a trem & locking tuners.

If you can, have a poke around for a Singlecut Trem. Most versatile guitar I've ever owned- has a sound for every occasion. :) Same body thickness as a McCarty, but with a trem & locking tuners.

• Members

At one time I had 30 guitars of varying quality from a 66 es335 to a squier pro tone. I moved from Connecticut to Florida for a job and before I left I really downsized.

This is my circle now ... and while I have moments of GAS, I find myself unable to part with any of these ... and so ... I say .... keep what you really love and get rid of the rest

circle.jpg

Archived