what's up with jack white and his penchant for cheap guitars?

Chief Ten Beers

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who is NOT a poseur?

Ever performer has some persona. Something that separates their "real" selves from the one they present on stage.

Watch the movie. Someone apparently forgot to tell White that it was a documentary, not an acting gig.

I'll give him this, though: his fanboys sure circle the wagons when others don't share their hero worship.

• Members

I just find his adopted affectation of authenticity to be as pretentious as it is transparent. I gotta say though, the fact that my opinion of him bothers you so much is kinda weird.

What "affectation of authenticity?" That's been my point all along; his "authenticity" or lack thereof is something that only exists or matters in your own mind. You've still not posted anything of substance to support what you're saying.

One second you're accusing him of not being authentic because he has an expensive guitar, the next you're saying it's an "affectation," not real authenticity, even though your other comment indicates that he's not worried about authenticity at all.

Your rants are inconsistent. What's wierd is that you'd just make something up, and expect everyone to go along with your fabricated premise.

Eh, never mind.

Rush rules.

• Members

I think some of Jack's image is contrived, but so is the image of half the rock stars out there.

Kerry King was on the cover of Guitar World a couple of months ago rolling around in fake blood. The dorkiness was overwhelming.

It has come to my attention that Jack White is a clown, a coked up egomaniac clown. His 15 minutes will be up soon.

I think you mean 15 years.

• Members

He's right about those guitar's being a struggle to play. Like driving a 50 Chevy with a starter button,manual steering and a 3-speed on the column.

Yeah - thank god I don;t have to drive that piece of {censored} either. Seriously - why play a guitars that's a struggle - play anything you want but we need to cull out all bad players and burn them so the rest are the best.

• Members

Kerry King was on the cover of Guitar World a couple of months ago rolling around in fake blood. The dorkiness was overwhelming.

I feel the same about the "image" of Cradle Of Filth and all the gallons of very obvious fake blood n ' guts :facepalm:

You can only go that far w the blood imagery before it gets commical . . .

• Members
  • Members
This is definitely the most entertaining thread I've read in a real long time. And I still can't believe what that guy can do with two strings and a slide.
:eek::cool:

He can make some damn interesting and rockin' music with whatever he's playing, "poseur" or not.

Hell, the Stones, Bowie, Zep, and plenty of other folks I'm a fan of are "poseurs," too. Anybody that thinks Keef hasn't created a persona is probably enough of an idiot to believe he's really done as much smack as he claims, too.;)

• Members

I think that the fact that he's pretty well off now and still plays those old pawn shop finds says alot. If you have something you like, why upgrade? Malcolm Young has played that same old beat up Gretsch forever now. Neil Young's 'Ol Black is still his number one electric, and Hank Williams' old acoustic is still his main acoustic.

There's plenty of well built and expensive guitars that sound and feel great, but there's sometimes nothing like a worn in guitar, or something like an amp with some cigarette burns on it, etc. One could also go so far as to ask why anyone would play a beat up old tube amp.....it's cranky, less predictable in sound from day to day, and it's more maintenance than a solid state. But the reasons are the same as mentioned above.

• Members

Isn't he? He
was
a guest on Top Gear, after all! God, I'd kill a man to guest on Top Gear
:cool:

I hate to say it but Seasick Steve is almost completely unknown here in the states. The only way I came across him was looking for someone else on the Jools Holland show on Youtube.

Most, if not all, of his other youtube clips are from the UK. If he came around here, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

• Members

I hate to say it but Seasick Steve is almost completely unknown here in the states. The only why I came across him was looking for someone else on the Jools Holland show on Youtube.

Most, if not all, of his other youtube clips are from the UK. If he came around here, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

He says himself that the reason he's not famous in the US is that people like him are everywhere, 10 a penny (dime a dozen if you want the US).

Archived