what's up with jack white and his penchant for cheap guitars?

Chief Ten Beers

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just got done watching it might get loud.I don't get it,this guy could have a harem of awesome guitars but he prefers pawn shop junks that always sound out of tune and like chit?
:idk:

He explained it in the film, he likes to have to fight and wrestle with the guitar.

• Members

It's all about his authenticity, man. Like the Gretsch that he had turned into a double-cut and had a green bullet mic installed with a retractable cable. You know, like how the old blues guys each had their own personal luthier to customize their guitars. :rolleyes:

Every time White opened his mouth in that movie it just made Jimmy Page seem wiser and classier.

• Members

Haven't seen the movie yet, though I hope to. Also not a huge Jack White fan though I appreciate him and some of the work he's done.

He's not always about el-cheapo instruments. He's got quite a few custom Gretsch-type jobs that are damn sweet and I'm sure play like butter.

• Members

Haven't seen the movie yet, though I hope to. Also not a huge Jack White fan though I appreciate him and some of the work he's done.

He's not always about el-cheapo instruments. He's got quite a few custom Gretsch-type jobs that are damn sweet and I'm sure play like butter.

That copper top one is pretty sexy! As is the green one he played on ACL.

• Members

The real secret is that cheap junk guitars can sound fantastic. 90% of what makes an expensive guitar expensive has nothing with sound. It's about exotic woods, finish, hand building, location of manufacture. Eddie Van Halen played a junk guitar that cost $150 and sounded fantastic. Sure a REPLICA costs 25 grand...but who cares?

The point being that it ISN'T a struggle. He just likes the image that it is. It helps explain his lack of chops and lowers expectations. Besides that it has that working man's mojo that he's one of the masses and not some candy ass pampered rock star. Who wants an image like that? All it breeds is haters.

If I was a big rock star I'd play stuff that APPEARS to be junk on stage too.

Makes you way more interesting and that's a huge bonus after 50 years of guitar bands and a public that has seen everything.

• Members

An airline Res-o-glassis hardly a cheap pawnshop guitar, but to your point, he addresses it in the movie, that he feels like part of what he needs to do is tame the instrument and that he likes the old, beat up, bent instruments that put up a fight.

That and they fit his retro-cool image.

• Members

It's all about his
authenticity
, man. Like the Gretsch that he had turned into a double-cut and had a green bullet mic installed with a retractable cable. You know, like how the old blues guys each had their own personal luthier to customize their guitars.
:rolleyes:

Every time White opened his mouth in that movie it just made Jimmy Page seem wiser and classier.

It's funny how you're basically calling him a hypocrite over something you made up, rather than something he actually said.:lol:

When has Jack White ever claimed to be an authentic bluesman?

Archived