Wiring problem! Help!

mfc_pj

• Members

I did a standard 2 pickup 2 volume 2 tone 3 way togle switch wiring. the standard like it's on the seymour duncan page but now there's a problem, when I'm in middle position and lower the volume on 1 pickup the overall volume drops, not just that one pickup. What have I done wrong?

• Members

I did a standard 2 pickup 2 volume 2 tone 3 way toggle switch wiring. the standard like it's on the seymour duncan page but now there's a problem, when I'm in middle position and lower the volume on 1 pickup the overall volume drops, not just that one pickup. What have I done wrong?

That's the way all of them work in the middle position. You see when both pickups are on together they're in the same circuit. It's like the two pickups are one pickup.

How does it sound with the volume all the way up? Really weak? Or about right? Loud hum? Or no hum? If it sounds good you wired it up properly.

• Members

I always thought that was the point, so you could get a good blended tone. I don't really use the middle much on my epi lp but if it were a scenario where I took the time to find the perfect blend between bridge and neck, if some output were lost I would probably also take the time to compensate the gain on my amp.

On mine, and every other guitar with this config, its been wired to where if you're in the middle position and have one pickup at 0, there is no sound, even if the other is on 10. That's the norm right?

• Members

I always thought that was the point, so you could get a good blended tone. I don't really use the middle much on my epi lp but if it were a scenario where I took the time to find the perfect blend between bridge and neck, if some output were lost I would probably also take the time to compensate the gain on my amp.

On mine, and every other guitar with this config, its been wired to where if you're in the middle position and have one pickup at 0, there is no sound, even if the other is on 10. That's the norm right?

Yeah, that's how every one that I've ever played has been.

The funny part about this thread is that I've been eyeballing the {censored} out of those new Taylor Solidbodies and while it's a 1V/1T configuration with a 5 position switch, the middle position selects the neck humbucker and the inner coil of the bridge. It sounds great. I was wondering if I could dial in something similar with my Gibsons, but with it attenuating the entire signal and not just part of the bridge it's not the same.

I know that it's a full HB vs a SC, but I wonder if this mod would get me at least in the ball park.

Archived