Ideas for building my own Fender Esquire?

thom

• Members

I don't HAVE to really build one, but fender only has a cheap mim version and a really expensive CS one. Building one from scratch would probably even cost too much money AND time.

I'm sorta picky when it comes to the finish, so I figured it might be a good idea to just look for a used Vintage Hot Rod '52 tele and sell the guard and pu and replace em with an esquire pick guard...

The rest of the guitar might not be totally vintage correct or anything, but I liked the way the neck/frets felt when I played the guitar in a local store. And the finish should be as close to a "real" nitro finish as I can afford.

Anyone any other ideas?

Cheers.

• Members

Non actually:lol:

I was hoping to get the job done sort of in the way I explained: By replacing electronics or maybe wapping necks/bodies...

all you need is a pickguard. Thats all an Esquire is is a Tele with no neck pickp and a different wiring.

I Esquire'd my 52RI for some time but reverted back to teh Tele. Id like to get a Nocaster and Esquire that one day.

• Members
Roadworn Tele...more real nitro than any other and cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion...

But I'm not a huge fan of the relic concept. I'm not calling anyone a poser or anything, I don't have a problem with people who like the worn look and don't mind that their worn guitar is really spanking new...

It's just that the only relics that look somewhat "real" to me all cost a fortune.

I mean, if I'm gonna pay a little extra for a mexican fender that's supposed to look like a real vintage fender, I'd like people to actually think it IS a vintage one. At least from a distance. If you're gonna fake it, at least do it good...Right? :)

Anyone who's ever seen a vintage strat/tele or even a cs relic will probably agree that those road worn fenders look extremely fake, weird, and...well, wrong. Not to mension the fact that zillions of people own the exact same looking "relic", and I sorta think that defeats the whole point.

Whatever, didn't mean to rant, srry for that. Again: To each their own.

• Members
all you need is a pickguard. Thats all an Esquire is is a Tele with no neck pickp and a different wiring.

I Esquire'd my 52RI for some time but reverted back to teh Tele. Id like to get a Nocaster and Esquire that one day.

Yeah I know, but like I said I'm sorta picky about the finish. I'd want the body to be black and finished in nitro. A so called "thin skin" laquer would be even better.

I think fender used to make the '52 ri in black for a short period, but they seem to be very rare/pricey nowadays...

If I ever find a good deal on a butterscotch '52 tele I'll grab it though. But they're all >1000euro around here, which on the other hand is probably still less then what I'd have to pay for a used Vintage Hot Rod tele...:(

• Members
Thanks for the suggestion...

But I'm not a huge fan of the relic concept. I'm not calling anyone a poser or anything, I don't have a problem with people who like the worn look and don't mind that their worn guitar is really spanking new...

It's just that the only relics that look somewhat "real" to me all cost a fortune.

I mean, if I'm gonna pay a little extra for a mexican fender that's supposed to look like a real vintage fender, I'd like people to actually think it IS a vintage one. At least from a distance. If you're gonna fake it, at least do it good...Right?
:)

Anyone who's ever seen a vintage strat/tele or even a cs relic will probably agree that those road worn fenders look extremely fake, weird, and...well, wrong. Not to mension the fact that zillions of people own the exact same looking "relic", and I sorta think that defeats the whole point.

Whatever, didn't mean to rant, srry for that. Again: To each their own.

Yeah I dunno Jay Black who worked for Fender said he thinks the Roadworns look awesome but what does he know? Im not a fan of the way they do the necks but the bodies are lighlty relic'd and if you put a different neck on it would look really good I think.

You could just refinish one yoursef in black the only problem being black is the hardest color to get perfect.

Ive seen black 52RI but you now those have a poly base not all nitro.

When I refinished my CIJ Tele (avatar) it was gonna be black until I found hiding under the paint it was a 1 piece body so I went with butt blonde. I still want a black tele some day.

You could also go the USACG or Musicraft route

Archived