IS GAUGE 12 TOO MUCH FOR MY GUITAR TO HANDLE?

KevinTJH

• Members

I've got a cheap guitar which I dropped the tuning to [C G C F A D]. As suggested by some of the members here, I used a tip cleaner to file the nut so I could fit gauge 12 strings. (ernie ball not even slinky)

Now, surprisingly, the intonation is about perfect and there is absolutely no tuning issues at all! The only problem is that the strings feel a little too tight. My fingers get really exhausted after playing on it (even when no bending is involved) so I'm guessing it must be the tension. Also, since this is a cheap guitar with a maple neck, I'm a little concerned if the high tension strings will cause any damage to my guitar in the long term. Will the string trees like pop out or something eventually? The tension at the headstock looks pretty intense as well

I just can't stop pondering if I should've gone with gauge 11s instead of 12s.

• Members

Yea I guess it should be alright then. I'm happy to let my fingers toughen up, I was only concerned it would do damage to the guitar.

I would've got 11s if I could turn back time. But I'm so astonished at how the guitar plays, eventhough it is all factory setup, the action is nice and low, guitar pretty much stays in tune all the time and intonation with the 12s is like perfect!

I was just wondering, if I had went with the 11s, would my intonation and other things be any different? To a typical guitar player, did I make the right decision?

Everything is great except for one thing - the treble strings. When plugged in and distorted, particularly the G string sounds AWFUL.

Could it be due to fretbuzz (though I can't seem to notice any of that) or could it be the pickups?

Just take into account that this guitar comes with a gig bag, micro amp, lead, strap, and DVD - AU$259 in total. So the guitar itself is probably gonna be worth about 150-180 bucks. Do you think the extremely cheap/low quality pickup could be the issue?

• Members

it won't cause you guitar any damage at all. you would almost certainly need to fine-tune your intonation and possibly adjust your truss rod. i imagine gauge 12s would sound fine on the wound strings but if that high D feels too tight you should try 10-52s (it's like the wound strings from a 12 set and the plain strings from a 10 set) - ernie ball "skinny top heavy bottom" are a fairly common choice. a lot of metal guitarists that tune down to that range use these

• Members

it won't cause you guitar any damage at all. you would almost certainly need to fine-tune your intonation and possibly adjust your truss rod. i imagine gauge 12s would sound fine on the wound strings but if that high D feels too tight you should try 10-52s (it's like the wound strings from a 12 set and the plain strings from a 10 set) - ernie ball "skinny top heavy bottom" are a fairly common choice. a lot of metal guitarists that tune down to that range use these

Alright cool. Thanks a lot. Just one problem, is it true that your nut has to be replaced everytime you change string gauges? I'm talking about from a heavier gauge to a lighter gauge. I've filed the nut very nicely but I think it would be a problem for me to go to a lighter gauge.

• Members

Alright cool. Thanks a lot. Just one problem, is it true that your nut has to be replaced everytime you change string gauges? I'm talking about from a heavier gauge to a lighter gauge. I've filed the nut very nicely but I think it would be a problem for me to go to a lighter gauge.

Unless you've really wallowed out the slots, you'd probably be fine dropping down a gauge. That said, I doubt .09s are going to work very well.

• Members

My Lite Ash Strats came with 9s, I have used up to 11-56 gauge in the same nut without a problem - however, you will definitely need to adjust the truss rod and add at least one spring to the trem claw.

And regarding your comment on the G string, are you using a wound or a plain G?

There used to be a great link explaining why you should use a wound G if possible, but it looks like it's been taken down.

• Members

My Lite Ash Strats came with 9s, I have used up to 11-56 gauge in the same nut without a problem - however, you will definitely need to adjust the truss rod and add at least one spring to the trem claw.

And regarding your comment on the G string, are you using a wound or a plain G?

There used to be a great link explaining why you should use a wound G if possible, but it looks like it's been taken down.

It's a plain G, but it somehow feels incredibly thick though! No idea why Ernie made it so thick

• Members

i think the guitar will handle it but hour hands might not after some time.

I dont buy the SRV thing. Tha man had arthritis at the and of his career and went down in gauge. Related or not.

With the lower tunings u might be fine just adjust the truss rod to compensate for the xtra tension. And remember...no body really cares what gauge u play! Who cares! Play what feels best to you.

• Members

Everything is great except for one thing -
the treble strings
. When plugged in and distorted, particularly the G string sounds AWFUL.

Could it be due to fretbuzz (though I can't seem to notice any of that) or could it be the pickups?

Just take into account that this guitar comes with a gig bag, micro amp, lead, strap, and DVD - AU$259 in total. So the guitar itself is probably gonna be worth about 150-180 bucks. Do you think the extremely cheap/low quality pickup could be the issue?

You need to move to a wound G. The poor qualities of a plain G string are exacerbated by an increase in string gauge.

FWIW, I absolutely adore thicker strings. Every electric I purchase immediately gets a new set of D'Addario EXL 115w strings. Those go .011-.049 with a wound G.

• Members

I put 12's on my Danelectro (standard "E" tuning) when I joined a surf band,now that i'm used to them I can bend'em like I did when i had 10's on there.

and no,it doesn't hurt the guitar.
:rolleyes:

For a while I could do this with 13s, but I realized throughout a gig my playing would get progressively weaker, so I dropped down to 12s. Then I realized 11s sounded exactly the same and it was like playing spaghetti noodles for me, so there you are. I don't believe there's as much of a difference in tone between the higher gauges as people think, the only big differences I can hear are between 9s and 10s, and 10s and 11s. 11s are also more widely available, another reason I dropped down.

Archived