Ibanez RG or...?

uvacom-rotatt

• Members

I've been wanting to get a guitar capable of some good high-gain sounds with a stable tremolo and the ability to do good fender-ish cleans in a pinch. I've got about $500 and I'll probably go used. Should I get something like an Ibanez RG-550, or something else? I don't really play metal or hard rock, it's more that I want a guitar that can stand up to a lot of processing for textural sounds, etc.

Currently my only electric is a telecaster.

• Members

I think the h/s/h may not be the best set up for fenderish cleans. I like a single in the neck instead. I don't recall which model RG has that, but I know they have one.

Two other guitars to consider that fit your request, and are similar priced or less; Jackson DK2 and Kramer focus 1000. The Kramer will be the cheapest, with a real floyd. Jackson will have a liscenced floyd, but you can find them with real Seymour Duncans.

• Members

Hmm. I won't rule out the Jackson or Kramer, but to me they look really, really cheesy, even compared to the RG. Looks aren't everything though, if the guitar plays and sounds right I could probably overlook some cosmetic deficiencies. So I should probably try a few out and see what I think.

• Members

Now one thing I will say about just about any of these guitars in this price range...I really don't think you're going to get very good high gain sounds and fenderish cleans out of most of these guitars with the price range you're looking at. I prefer the pickups that Jackson comes with, but most are EMG's and while I personally think they can offer pretty good cleans I definitely wouldn't describe it as fenderish. Your best bet IMO would probably be to pick up one of these guitars used like you said for a pretty good price and then upgrade the pickups with two new humbuckers and wire it for coil taping. If you looked around hard enough I'm sure you could still stay under 500$ and end up with a pretty versatile axe.

My Schecter C1-Classic has the Seymour Jb / 59 combo with coil tapping and it sounds great for a lot of different styles. Hope this helps some what! :thu:

Archived