get broken whammy bar out of the hole?

bluesguyjon

• Members

i was getting some hendrix-y heavily distorted whammy bar dives out of my system while i was alone in the house earlier, and i guess i was a little too vigorous and broke my whammy bar. unfortunately the breaking point was a little below where the threads end going up to the right angle of the arm, so it's sitting about 2 mm below the lip of the hole.

i can't imagine i'm the first person to have this happen to them, so is there any way to get that piece out?

• Members

That happened to me with one of the two late 70s Strats I owned in the -- ahem -- late 70s before saying FARKIT and shelling out for a pre-CBS. I solved the problem by selling the guitar.

This may not necessarily work for you ...

• Members

If the bar is broken off within the threaded hole, you'll need a screw extractor (Often referred to by the misnomer "Easy-out". It's never easy.) and the proper size drill bit.

Or replace the block. Which is certainly easier than extracting the screw, particularly since you'd want to remove the block from the guitar and the rest of the tremolo assembly anyway before attacking it with the drill bit and extractor.

I'm not sure of the prices, but a new block might even be less expensive than the drill bit and extractor.

• Members

Drill it out. If you use an easy out though make sure you don't break the easy out because they're next to impossible to drill through. If the metal is soft enough you might be able to drill out the middle, then break the shell that's left with a screwdriver and hammer and get it to fall out. Kinda similar to how you drill out a rivet. You run a risk of damaging the threads. on the trem that way though.

• Members

i was getting some hendrix-y heavily distorted whammy bar dives out of my system while i was alone in the house earlier, and i guess i was a little too vigorous and broke my whammy bar. unfortunately the breaking point was a little below where the threads end going up to the right angle of the arm, so it's sitting about 2 mm below the lip of the hole.

i can't imagine i'm the first person to have this happen to them, so is there any way to get that piece out?

Try using a small screwdriver (like the ones for glasses) and try moving the broken piece, it may just screw right out!

• Members

yeah, i've been thinking about getting something more durable anyway, considering the gauge strings i use and thus the amount of spring tension needed.

i'm a n00b at this kind of thing, but will a stainless steel tremolo bar have more tensile strength than the standard fender ones? (i'll echo what EADGBE said, i dunno what the standard ones are made out of).

• Members

It shouldn't be very tight. Maybe a small screw driver with a little downward pressure while you turn it. I would think it would come out.

On another note, those must have been some epic dives to break the trem arm! Did you crack the pickguard too?! lol

• Members

If you can access it from the bottom of the bridge plate, try the screwdriver thing, or go at it with a small drill bit. Clockwise rotation from the bottom will be driving it out instead of in. Small bit will likely "hang" in the stub enough to catch it and drive it out.

• Members

On another note, those must have been some epic dives to break the trem arm! Did you crack the pickguard too?! lol

Nah, it's partly laziness on my part, my guitar isn't set up correctly. I use heavy strings (11s, sometimes 12s), so I have all 5 springs keeping the bridge locked down pretty tight. That, combined with the Star Spangled Banner-esque dives (so yeah actually, pretty epic :rolleyes:) didn't help. And no worries, my awesome Warmoth pick guard is safe.

Next time I'll make sure the tension is a little more balanced, I just have to settle on a gauge and keep it that way. Or if I get lazy I'll just take it to a tech :p.

Archived