tech says 57 and 57 plus won't work in my ibanez artcore?

hithere

• Members

true....but learning on a semi-hollow might prove pretty frustrating...I'm thinking about swapping pups on my Dot...and replacing the switch...but have not done it yet because it's kind of a pain to work on...

Screw pulling all the components out through the FHolesl and soldring directly to the pots. Just clip the wires under pickups and but splice them there and cover with heat shrink tubing. You dont even have to cut the new pickup leads short, just stuff the extra wire in the body. I am getting lazy these days amd use phone wire splice connectors instead of soldering. You can make all the connections with one squeeze of a single 3 conductor connector.

A tech I used to go to told me "Gretsch or Gibson hollows, I solder the hard way. For cheap hollowbody guitars, I just splice them under the pickups. If I didn't tell you, you would never know the difference."

• Members

Screw pulling all the components out through the FHolesl and soldring directly to the pots. Just clip the wires under pickups and but splice them there and cover with heat shrink tubing. You dont even have to cut the new pickup leads short, just stuff the extra wire in the body. I am getting lazy these days amd use phone wire splice connectors instead of soldering. You can make all the connections with one squeeze of a single 3 conductor connector.

A tech I used to go to told me "Gretsch or Gibson hollows, I solder the hard way. For cheap hollowbody guitars, I just splice them under the pickups. If I didn't tell you, you would never know the difference."

that works fine as long as you're ok with the stock pots/caps. I prefer to upgrade the whole package...:o

• Members

Yeah, that works if all you're doing is swapping pups. However, if you need to replace a switch, or upgrade pots...not gonna work...

• Members

Awesome tech.

Whenever you encounter an electrical issue with a guitar, it's obvious that you'd blame the wooden guitar... I mean what else could it be??

Everybody knows that semi-hollow bodies don't conduct electricity the way solid bodies do. That's why the 57+ wont work... it's a high voltage pickup, and the 57 is low voltage, so it works in 355's.

You can splice an electrical cord to the pickup leads, though, and plug it into the wall to make up the voltage difference. Have your tech try that first.

:facepalm:

In all seriousness, it sounds like he wired the "low output" p/u wrong, and it's either wired in parallel or, more likely, with the coils out of phase. It's an easy fix... or it should be.

• Members

Yeah, that works if all you're doing is swapping pups. However, if you need to replace a switch, or upgrade pots...not gonna work...

I'd fish a switch if I had to, that's just one piece of string. No big deal but 4 pots a switch and a jack ... nope. I mean it's not the end of the word to do but I would only resort to pulling it all out for a valuable guitar or to replace a non-working component.

If it's just a pickup change and everything else works, I'd splice.

• Members

i would say learning on an hollow body is aboslutely the best thing to do! i've done 2 full pickup changes on my Artcore AK85, and let me tell you, bathing in that fire, when i recently changed out the pickups on my Tele i was so much more prepared! went like a breeze!

wash yourself in the pain that is changing out a hollow body my brother! you will be happy in the end!

• Members

hey guys I recently paid to get what I thought I had seen in other 335 type guitars (57 and 57 plus) and figured it would be an upgrade, but today I got a call that they were pickups more meant for solid body guitars and that the pickups themselves seem fine, but the on bridge has tons of output, while the other is whimpy.

I didn't know the guitar could make that difference? Anyway before I lose the money on my repair and the money on those year old pickups from gibson I spent money on, he is going to try some other gibson pickups he has laying around in it, to see if the pickup is weird

but is this something that can really come down to my ibanez not having the right wiring, or the right body to make 57s sound right?

Maybe Im reading the post wrong..But it doesnt sound like to me the tech said there was something wrong with the wiring, It was the poster asking the question.

but is this something that can really come down to my ibanez not having the right wiring, or the right body to make 57s sound right?

To me it sounds like tech said the pickups were fine but in his opinion the one was to hot and one had low output. Not that they physically didnt fit or anything about the wiring like some of you have commented on. If the poster wants the 57's he should just have said to put them in. Sounds like the tech is making a judgment based on his personal taste.

• Members

Maybe Im reading the post wrong..But it doesnt sound like to me the tech said there was something wrong with the wiring, It was the poster asking the question.

To me it sounds like tech said the pickups were fine but in his opinion the one was to hot and one had low output. Not that they physically didnt fit or anything about the wiring like some of you have commented on. If the poster wants the 57's he should just have said to put them in. Sounds like the tech is making a judgment based on his personal taste.

But based on experience there is no way that there would be a situation where there is that much difference in sound in this set of pickups unless something was done wrong. They balance and match very closely and with a quick pickup height adjustment they can almost dead even (if that is what you would want).

And a Classic 57 in the neck is the exact opposite of what anyone would call 'wimpy' sounding. :lol:

• Members

1. Test the pickups to make sure they are giving the right range of output.

2. If they are, it has to be a problem with the wiring connections or a pot etc.

3. DIY is the only way to go on this stuff. Twice i went to "luthiers" at my local shop... the best rep shop in town. What a looser job they did. Now I do my own and though I am totally doing something for the first time with each new project, I still do much better than they did because I look up how to do it and care and take my time. You can do the same.

Archived