tech says 57 and 57 plus won't work in my ibanez artcore?

hithere

• Members

hey guys I recently paid to get what I thought I had seen in other 335 type guitars (57 and 57 plus) and figured it would be an upgrade, but today I got a call that they were pickups more meant for solid body guitars and that the pickups themselves seem fine, but the on bridge has tons of output, while the other is whimpy.

I didn't know the guitar could make that difference? Anyway before I lose the money on my repair and the money on those year old pickups from gibson I spent money on, he is going to try some other gibson pickups he has laying around in it, to see if the pickup is weird

but is this something that can really come down to my ibanez not having the right wiring, or the right body to make 57s sound right?

• Members

I was afraid that I knew what I was talking about.

he isn't pushing any other pickups, but I bought those 57 and 57 pluses last year because I saw that they were in 335s (but I guess most just have two normal 57s now?) and thought they would work well in my artcore.

now I can't take the pickups back, and he said the 335s are much different guitars than my artcore, but I don't get how that would have anything to do with the output of my one pickup being strange...

Plus I am so low on money right now that I really did have 100 dollars to just throw away on this job

• Members

he isn't pushing any other pickups, but I bought those 57 and 57 pluses last year because I saw that they were in 335s (but I guess most just have two normal 57s now?) and thought they would work well in my artcore.

now I can't take the pickups back, and he said the 335s are much different guitars than my artcore, but I don't get how that would have anything to do with the output of my one pickup being strange...

Plus I am so low on money right now that I really did have 100 dollars to just throw away on this job

Unless the pickup is broken, it should work fine in your Artcore.

Did the guy put the Plus in the neck or the bridge? With the plus in the bridge, the pickups should be pretty close to the same output.

• Members

sorry to hear that, man. he's poo.

• Members

Which Artcore do you have? While certainly different guitars, the core construction methodology is the same if you have a semi hollow. If the pickup placement is very different compared to a 335 (which I don't think it is) you could certainly get a different tonal response out of a pickup which could result in some perceived volume loss (less lows in a neck pup could be interpreted as less output).

• Members

no, he doesn't know what he's doing. I replaced the pickups in my Artcore. It's no different than any other dual HB semi-hollow set up.

• Members

I've got a set of 57 Classics in the standard configuration; a set of a standarda and a plus and I've owned about 4 different guitars with combinations or each. I am no genious, but your tech is full of {censored}.

First off the 57 Plus isn't that much hotter than a standard 57. If it didn't say Plus on it I don't think that I'd notice it. From my experience you can more than adjust for the difference between any configuration with the pickup heights.

• Members

Semi-hollows and hollow bodies are a pisser to work on. My guess is he's lazy.

If he honestly believes they won't work, maybe he's an idiot instead of just lazy.

:thu:

This.

I'll bet he has a bad solder joint in there and doesn't want to go back in to fix it.

Regardless, he has no clue as to what he's doing.

• Members

true....but learning on a semi-hollow might prove pretty frustrating...I'm thinking about swapping pups on my Dot...and replacing the switch...but have not done it yet because it's kind of a pain to work on...

That's true. Probably not the best situation to start learning, especially since the tech may have already screwed something up.

Archived