Anyone play half-step down on Gibson scale necks?

niceguy

• Members

I'm a Fender fella, but always looking to get back into the Gibson world.

I tune all my guitars down a half-step, and on some of my songs, I play in drop D. Meaning, on some of my songs, my bass E string is tuned to Db.

I don't get any floppy-string problems on my Fender, but I'm wondering how the shorter Gibson scale would react. Is this gonna be a problem?

• Members

I tune all my guitars down a half-step, and on some of my songs, I play in drop D. Meaning, on some of my songs, my bass E string is tuned to Db.

I don't get any floppy-string problems on my Fender, but I'm wondering how the shorter Gibson scale would react. Is this gonna be a problem?

In short, no. You'll be fine at 1/2 step down. I often play a full step down on my LP and two steps down with heavier strings on my SG and I don't have any problems with floppiness. YMMV.

• Members

Why would it be a problem? There is a reason that you can choose your required string gauge for each string. I tune 1/2 step down ordinarily and use dropped-D(C# actually) quite often. For a dedicated dropped-D guitar I go up about 4 numbers on the low E string.

• Members

No problems, I play half step down (and lower like drop D and occasionally C std) with 9s - not ideal but not a big deal. I also have a gibson scale guitar in C std with 10s and thats fine.

Brendon Small - the guy behind Dethklok - plays in C std on Gibsons and he says he uses the equivalent of 10s on his unwound strings (and I think 11s on the wound ones).

• Members

Not to derail the topic, but why is half step down so popular? One thing that confuses me for example is why Metallica often play half step down live when their songs were originally recorded in standard
:confused:

I've heard that it's easier to sing a half step down. I believe that all the Roth era Van Halen stuff was down a half step where as most of the Hagar stuff was standard.

It also sounds a bit heavier and makes the strings slinkier. I don't do it very often, but everytime I tune down I just ask myself why I don't do it more often.

Archived