$200.00 for a guitar, which one?

Wolfboy1

• Members

He should check out
and pick out a Fender Squier Standard Strat (read:
Standard
, not Affinity, not Bullet). These can easily be found for less than $150. Alder bodies, 22-fret necks, two-point trems, large headstocks. I've tried a couple of these in recent weeks and thought they were almost on par with MIM Strats. Once in a while I've seen these around $100, and at that price there's almost no reason to get something else.

this is pretty good advice as well.

• Members

The thing that tipped me toward buying used at GC was the fact that I could easily return it for any reason within 30 days without paying a cent. I was going to order from Rondo (agile 2000) but I had to figure in the cost of a setup as well, so that + shipping got it above my comfort zone a bit. GC did a setup before I took it out the door--I was skeptical at how good they'd do it, but it's been rock-solid as far as tuning etc. It was also very comforting to be able to bring some guitar-playing friends in there to give it a try. I brought 4 different people in to play it :D And, they threw in a decent case for a good deal less than I would have paid by itself. I would still order from Rondo or GF, but I think I'd check out the local stores first. They don't pay much to get used ones in the first place so especially if you find one that just went out for sale they don't have much invested in it.

• Members

Its inevitable that someone is going to suggest SX. Unless they are skilled at repair and modifying thats a huge mistake. Look for a good MIM guitar or Classic Vibe. Just in my opinion

Exactly. That's why I suggested Squier for either a Strat or Tele. I own a couple of SX strats, so it's not a knock against them - they just need some TLC to be real players. The Agiles, OTOH, are usually good to go with a setup.

To the OP, I read my other post and it didn't come out like I meant it to. I'm not trying to portray myself as the end-all genius on guitars, just offer what I do know to help someone starting out, which is something I didn't have.

• Members

He should check out
and pick out a Fender Squier Standard Strat (read:
Standard
, not Affinity, not Bullet). These can easily be found for less than $150. Alder bodies, 22-fret necks, two-point trems, large headstocks. I've tried a couple of these in recent weeks and thought they were almost on par with MIM Strats. Once in a while I've seen these around $100, and at that price there's almost no reason to get something else.

Not all Squier std's are alder, some are agathis.

Owning both a Squier std and MIM std strat the quality is considerably better on the MIM.

Especially the feel and finishing of the neck and quality of the electrical components.

I agree with avoiding SX unless your practically a luthier.

The Agiles though like the al2000 are a hard to beat value on a budget LP type guitar.

Archived