Un-NGD (probably a first)

chimi

• Members

Ok,

So i traded my old laptop for a guitar a few days ago. I mentioned in the add the age of the laptop and all the things that were wrong with it. Brought it over to the person's house and after he looked over it for what had to be close to an hour we had a deal.

A few days pass by and he e-mails me saying the laptop is dead and he wants his guitar back. Sooo, now i'm giving back his guitar and getting a broken computer in return.

I'm not pulling any punches, the laptop was old but it was a tank and i had never experienced any serious issues with it. True he may have got it on its way out which i feel bad for but at the same time i'm kind of pissed because i have no idea what he did to it while he had it for those few days.

I'm not laying blame on the guy at all i guess i'm just really pissed about how the situation worked out.

• Members

Ok,

So i traded my old laptop for a guitar a few days ago. I mentioned in the add the age of the laptop and all the things that were wrong with it. Brought it over to the person's house and after he looked over it for what had to be close to an hour we had a deal.

A few days pass by and he e-mails me saying the laptop is dead and he wants his guitar back. Sooo, now i'm giving back his guitar and getting a broken computer in return.

I'm not pulling any punches, the laptop was old but it was a tank and i had never experienced any serious issues with it. True he may have got it on its way out which i feel bad for but at the same time i'm kind of pissed because i have no idea what he did to it while he had it for those few days.

I'm not laying blame on the guy at all i guess i'm just really pissed about how the situation worked out.

Well did you ask him what the problem was?.. I work in a computer shop and when someone says his computer is broken, it usually means he broke it himself, and that's in more than 9 out of 10 cases..

The probability that it worked good for years but suddenly died in a few days is really small, so if I were you I wouldn't take the laptop back. You may feel like you have to but the guy already inspected the laptop a full hour before he closed the deal, from that moment it's out of your hands..

Just my 2 cents..

• Members

Yeah that's the thing, i don't wanna be a dick about it. I don't like screwing people over but at the same time i feel like i'm being screwed over...

He said the laptop just died as he was using it which is a bit hard to believe because i've never had any issues like that with it before. Again, it is an old laptop and it is very feasible that is exactly what happened.

• Members

I don't know, my feeling is that we had a handshake on it and that was the end of the deal.

If i got a guitar that had a warped neck on it i wouldn't go and try to get my stuff back because i had a chance to look it over before i said yes to the deal

• Members

The thing is i'm a student trying to work my ass off (doing 2 jobs) and he's much older and in a more stable situation it seems.

Kinda seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal for him to take a hit of 200 bucks, whereas to me it's a very substantial amount of money.

I think he's on the forum, and like i said he seems like a very nice guy i'm just pissed about how the whole thing went down.

• Members

If you were using the laptop regularly up until you traded it, he likely broke it. Too coincidental otherwise. Also unless discussed, CL warranties are only as long as you can see the other guys taillights IMO.

Again I agree 100% and I'm not being a dick about it. The guy tried it out to his satisfaction and made the deal. Case closed.

No refunds.

• Members

Lol thanks for the replies guys. I honestly don't know what i plan on doing. I kinda already told him i would give the guitar back because i felt bad but at the same time i'm still pissed. Plus he offered to sell me the guitar for a bit less than he was asking for it on craigslist when he posted it.

So it's like oh i broke the laptop but i'll take some cash off the guitar for you

And FYI what happened with the laptop was that i got a new one and put this one in a shelf for a few weeks. then reset it to factory settings. So i wasn't using it until i gave it to him but it was working better than ever considering half the crap that made it run so slow was now gone

Archived