If I buy a Liverpool pedal...

CoqBelliqueux

• Members

Tech 21's new group of Character pedals is supposed to be released in a couple months and they include a switch to defeat the speaker sim. These should be much more palatable going into an effects return of a guitar amp. So at least they listened there. They obviously know these don't sound all that great feeding a guitar amp, so they are making what changes they can.

Only the 3 new ones then?

• Members

Only the 3 new ones then?

I don't know if they've officially said anything about the reworking the old ones. I assume they will once their current stock of inventory/pcb's/enclosures runs out.

The Hot British are cool boxes for Marshall-y distortion tones, no doubt. But again, it's an apples to oranges comparison. The HB is designed as a stompbox to drive your amp....whereas the Tech21 is designed basically to *replace* your amp. Therein lies the rub.......

• Members

I don't know if they've officially said anything about the reworking the old ones. I assume they will once their current stock of inventory/pcb's/enclosures runs out.

The Hot British are cool boxes for Marshall-y distortion tones, no doubt. But again, it's an apples to oranges comparison. The HB is designed as a stompbox to drive your amp....whereas the Tech21 is designed basically to *replace* your amp. Therein lies the rub.......

Well, if it's nice enough to be useful in many situations, I'll be happy.

• Members

Having used the Blonde pedal for about a month now, both as a direct box into a PA and into the power amp of my older Fender SS amp, well, it's a truly amazing little box. I'd have no reservations in buying the Vox model.

I also plan on getting the new Hiwatt model, drool.....

• Members

It's pretty much impossible to take a Fender voiced amp and make it sound like a Vox.

Fwiw, the Fender XD amps do have a Vox setting. I pretty much live on the Vox setting on my Super Champ XD for distortion.

I don't have direct playing experience with real Vox amps but I like the sounds from that setting on my amp anyhow.

• Members

the Liverpool is here (along with a free rubber ducky!)

Yes, the Sansamp quack is right there, it's like they haven't found a way to get rid of it in 20 years! It's not that annoying, but no matter how good the sound is, this always reminds you that this is an illllluuuuuusion, not the real thing. (think Shadow Gallery - Tyranny) quack quack

But the sound...

Very, very, very good. Fender Champ 600 and Washburn Sonic 7 with Invader pickups? Sounds beau-ti-ful, clean, sparkly, jangly as much as you want, just sweet and wide. Sounds like a different amp and guitar altogether. Keep the Character low and bump up the gain and you get clean with rich harmonic content, just a bit greasy to make it cool. As I expected, the EQ is the hidden gem in this thing. The manual insists that you must trust your ears and not the position of the dials. One minor thing is that at higher gain level, the volume has to be turned down almost to zero to match bypass volume. The higher gain tones also have some kind of blanket effect, which I attribute to the very mellow amp and the small speaker. I can't wait to try it into something else too.

GOOD

-sound quality

-versatility

-harmonic content / complexity

BAD

-quack quack quack

-only one footswitch / one sound at a time

-output level and eq are very variable and sensitive so it's hard / dangerous to tweak on the fly, each different sound needs an adjustment of almost all of the knobs

With the EQ set flat, the Character knob goes from brittle to normal clean and then past 12 o'clock, grit appears, then distortion and then the May sound, which sounds muddy and blanketed. Back off the character a bit and it clears up, that's where the good grit is, around 2-3 o'clock for me. And that's with a high-output bassy metal guitar, so imagine with something more reasonable. All pickup positions sound very different too, a very good thing.

Archived