Built In Effects

Elias Graves

• Members

Stewmac makes the black ice overdrive. I have no idea what it sounds like.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Black_Ice_overdrive/Black_Ice_Overdrive.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=16151

Wilde Pickups makes a device that looks very similar to the black ice. It is the Q-filter. It isn't really an effect, but a very nice alternative to a traditional tone control. I use one and the best way I can describe it is taking winds off the pickup and giving an acoustic type of tone at the same time, very interesting. It works best with high output pickups.

• Members

The only one the would interest me, but would come very, very expensive would be a ZVEX Fuzz Factory built into a guitar. The guy from Muse has those custom-built into each of his guitars. Don't care for his guitars, but the pedal is completely lovely.

it is yes, but i really wouldn't bother building it into a guitar unless you just want to change oscillation pitch without bending down to adjust the pedal. (generally the only controls mounted are comp and stab)

the stewmac black ice really isn't worth it it my opinion - it just adds some very light clipping. i'd rather have a tone control.

• Members

No idea and quality or sound though. Maybe there are a few people here that have em and will chime in?

I have the GFS Distortion and Delay Modboards. I would say tonal quality is in line with GFS's better pickups. i.e. not bad for the money but they are not going to take market share from the big boys any time soon.

I had initially attemtped to build them both into one enclosure but the issue came about when I wanted to put something in between them in the chain. Design SNAFU :poke:, so I ended up putting the delay in it's own box.

Archived