I need help deciding quick: POD Farm any good?

Jkater

• Members

Windows XP is generally a 32-bit platform yet a 64-bit version was later introduced. If you need 64-bit OS your best bet would be Windows 7.

As far as Pod Farm goes I use it with my Line 6 Toneport UX2 and it is amazing. There are alot of good samples worth using. The bundle you speak of is more advanced than the basic add-in they give you to try (mine is basically an LE version with option to upgrade))

It should be worth it.

• Members

iLok is a piece of garbage to manage our licenses. It costs around $40.

Why piece of garbage?

Because if everything goes smoothly it's just an idiotic expense of $40, but if you have problems with an authorization you may have to wait for hours or days in order to get things working.

POD Farm itself is good. I don't know about the Platinum version, but POD Farm was offered for free a few months ago, in September I think.

You can get Platinum for roughly $130. Here it sells for $150. I don't think it's a great deal.

If your budget is tight, you may prefer Waves GTR Solo. They had an offer that made it free for one year, and if you decide to buy the full version it goes for $140 or so.

• Members

iLok is a piece of garbage to manage our licenses. It costs around $40.

Why piece of garbage?

Because if everything goes smoothly it's just an idiotic expense of $40, but if you have problems with an authorization you may have to wait for hours or days in order to get things working.

POD Farm itself is good. I don't know about the Platinum version, but POD Farm was offered for free a few months ago, in September I think.

You can get Platinum for roughly $130. Here it sells for $150. I don't think it's a great deal.

If your budget is tight, you may prefer Waves GTR Solo. They had an offer that made it free for one year, and if you decide to buy the full version it goes for $140 or so.

Yes, Randy PM'd me about it. I'm rethinking this pod farm option. thanks guys! :)

• Members

If you want POD Farm, just get one of these:

gxscreenshot.jpg

It comes with POD Farm. I'm not familiar with the platinum edition, but I doubt it's tremendously different.

btw, THANK you for posting this and making me look at the Line6 site.. There is an update for my X3 that adds a lot of new stuff! I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't looked for your Studio GX..

• Members

btw, THANK you for posting this and making me look at the Line6 site.. There is an update for my X3 that adds a lot of new stuff! I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't looked for your Studio GX..

And thank you for posting that :). I hadn't looked at their site in forever either, I need that update too.

• Members

And thank you for posting that
:)
. I hadn't looked at their site in forever either, I need that update too.

Don't get too excited.. It's just 12 new stompboxes, of varying degrees of uselessness.. The Barberpole phase is pretty good, and the dimension delay is interesting, but the rest seem to be useless except for weird special effects (frequency shifter, kind of cool if you want to torture dogs).. I'd trade all 12 and half the other weird {censored} on my X3 for Gearbox access to the damn tuner.. POD Farm can have an on-screen tuner, so why the hell can't the flagship model have one?

• Members

Don't get too excited.. It's just 12 new stompboxes, of varying degrees of uselessness.. The Barberpole phase is pretty good, and the dimension delay is interesting, but the rest seem to be useless except for weird special effects (frequency shifter, kind of cool if you want to torture dogs).. I'd trade all 12 and half the other weird {censored} on my X3 for Gearbox access to the damn tuner.. POD Farm can have an on-screen tuner, so why the hell can't the flagship model have one?

It is kind of ridiculous. Being restricted to that little orange screen for the tuner isn't too helpful to people with eyes like mine.

I'd make the same trade and maybe a little more to be able to use the remaining add-ons for my X3 with my UX and Pod Farm.

• Members

It comes with POD Farm. I'm not familiar with the platinum edition, but I doubt it's tremendously different.

The Standard Pod Farm that comes with the Toneport has 18 guitar amps and 5 bass amps. Pod Farm Platinum has 78 guitar amps and 28 bass amps. If you are going to go for one its well worth going for the Platinum package, esp given its current pricing.

• Members

Thanks Crisco, How do I find out if my Windows XP is 64 bit platform (I don't have the litterature or booklet). Is there a place on the computer that would show this?

I took a look at the product since I found it surprising that it 'required' 64 bit processing. What I see from the literature is that it is 64 bit 'compatible'. Meaning your 32 bit OS should work fine.

http://line6.com/podfarm/requirements.html

BTW, if you are on a Windows PC, go to Control Panel and click on 'System'. Generally if you have a 64 bit OS, it will be called out there.

• Members

I took a look at the product since I found it surprising that it 'required' 64 bit processing. What I see from the literature is that it is 64 bit 'compatible'. Meaning your 32 bit OS should work fine.

BTW, if you are on a Windows PC, go to Control Panel and click on 'System'. Generally if you have a 64 bit OS, it will be called out there.

Thanks! That's an important input. I hesitated going forward since I don't like annoying surprises with software that just don't work for inexplicable reasons.

What you're saying makes sense because they talk about minimum requirements that are pretty modest: Pentium IV, windows XP sp2, etc.

• Members

oh and re: your machine being 64bit.. Odds are, it's not 64bit unless you've intentionally installed the 64bit version. When XP was the standard, 64bit was only ran and cared about by uber geeks. You didn't just accidentally get 64bit. For the longest time, when you went to the store and bought Windows, all you got in the box was a piece of paper saying to call them and request the 64bit discs. Long story short, if you have to ask the question, you ain't got 64bit.. Now if you had Vista or 7, that's a different story..

• Members

oh and re: your machine being 64bit.. Odds are, it's not 64bit unless you've intentionally installed the 64bit version. When XP was the standard, 64bit was only ran and cared about by uber geeks. You didn't just accidentally get 64bit. For the longest time, when you went to the store and bought Windows, all you got in the box was a piece of paper saying to call them and request the 64bit discs. Long story short, if you have to ask the question, you ain't got 64bit.. Now if you had Vista or 7, that's a different story..

Thanks. I reckon it will work on 32 bits. I'm seriously thinking about getting this... but I still want a (real) small tube amp down the road. :)

• Members

I use Pod Farm (with all available expansions on both a Vista 64 and an XP 32 bit system routinely and never had a problem with either one.In Fact, I have a lot of those consumer level VSTs: Pod Farm, Studio Devil (full package), Guitar rig4 Pro with controller, Amplitube,

They are all really good but I seem to dwell mostely in Pod Farm for some reason. It's just so good. It is a little cumbersome because of the pretty skin. I kind of like Gear box or even Line6 edit as all the stuff is on one screen but that's a minor caveat. As far as the sound goes Pod Farm is excellent too and is VERY flexible. If I could only have one of these it'd have to be Pod Farm. It's that good.

Archived