What do you think of the new(2009) Les Paul Juniors?

fuzztone

• Members

Just curious.I'd like to try one but I never see any at the GC near me. They have a different neck joint than the old ones and the cutaway is different to. Just wondering how they compare to the version that Gibson made a few years ago(the regular production model).

Do they sound like this?

FInjFmM8qR0

• Members

I just can't get past the fact that the ORIGINAL Jrs were BUDGET guitars, built to be sold at a moderate cost before Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Indonesia etc started building electric guitars. '54 Les Paul Jrs were comparatively CHEAP electrics vs the Les Paul Model (Gold Top) and the Les Paul Deluxe (Black and soon known as the Les Paul Custom)

Courtesy of A.R. Duchossoir:

"the Gibson Price List of September 1. 1954 the Les Paul line was reading as follows:

--- Les Paul Deluxe : $325.00

--- Les Paul Model : $225.00

--- Les Paul Junior : $99.50 "

Keeping in mind that the 1954 Les Paul Deluxe is the black tuxedo guitar soon to be known as the Les Paul Custom, the Jr was about 30% of the total list price of a "Custom". TOPS, the VOS Jr should LIST for $1999.00, and sell for $1400 street. I mean it's not like the thing has become more complicated to build 55 years later. As much as I'd like to have a 'real' Les paul Jr, I will not be taken advantage of. I got a Dean Leslie West Standard and believe me, it is easily every bit as good a guitar. Sure, a VOS Les Paul Jr still beckons, but it is much easier to ignore now.

• Members

I'm not sure I see how these are very different from a Melody Maker with a BG Pure 90 or another decent P90. Honestly, I'd save the money from a Jr. and go the MM route. But that's me and I'm basically cheap.

Those LPMM bodies were very thin, and they had a T-O-M bridge with a stop tailpiece. The stock P-90s on them were ballers, though.

Archived