Opinions on Texas Special Pups for teles..

tubedrt

• Members

Picking up a unplayed mim tele with a maple board. Doing a trade and Im getting the better end. My main guitars right now are a 2007 Ash American Tele with maple board, and a Strummer Tele. The mim I'm getting is a 60th Ann. so this is before fender overhauled the standard series right? Are Texas Specials a solid inprovement over the stock pickups.. I know theyre hotter with more mid punch, but for $130 a set are they worth it? Opinions needed.

• Members

Actually I just played one last weekend at guitar center. I wanted to do a side by side camparision to a mexi std. but believe it or not all they had were nashvilles (tex-mex Pups) and reissues ('72 deluxe, '72 custom). Well that and about 500 squires. I really like the new American Specials. A great combination of looks, hardware and quality.

• Members

I had a set in my Frankentele and swapped them out for a set of Kent Armstrongs. they were ok, but I was looking for more of a traditional tele sound. I'm very happy with the Armstrongs and they were much cheaper than the Texas Special Tele set.

for around the same price point as the Fender Texas Special set, why get get some custom wound pickups from BG?

If I was going to get any other Fender tele set, I would probably go with the Fender Original Vintage Tele set which is generally available for under $100 on ebay.

I have the Kent Armstrong sets in both of these guitars wired with 4 way switches...:o

095.jpg

Archived