What mp-3 software do you use?

mymindsok

• Members
What do you need it to do - rip, convert, manage your library, etc.? Download.com has a ton of free software with user and editor ratings. I like audacity, vlc and ashampoo.

Yeah, I need to rip convert and manage.

I am just hoping that someone here uses a utility that they really like and will recommend.

Thanks.:thu:

• Members
itunes, best I have used.

iTunes has an interesting story. I used it since it was called SoundJam, and back then a couple of alternatives were better, namely Audion and a promising one named Unsanity Echo.

Apple almost went with Audion. It was better, had more features, and visually was miles ahead of anything else with hundreds of "Faces." Pictures don't show the cool interaction with the mouse, but consider that these interfaces are from roughly 10 years ago:
f1.jpg

digipig.jpg

TS2mini.jpg

torn.jpg
This one was like a torn piece at the bottom right of the screen.

A feature comparison with iTunes back in 2002:
http://www.panic.com/audion/chart.html

Most current iTunes users probably have no idea that once upon a time Audion existed. :(

• Members

dBPowerAmp because I can right click on a file and convert and I use to be really big on FooBar2000 for playback and management. I've since gotten very lazy and use Windows Explorer and folders for keeping my collection straight.

The secret to me is just to make sure that you've got a good naming convention and a good quality encoder.

• Members

When ripping CDs do not use the keyboard or mouse. Just let the computer rip the CD. The sounds (clicks) from the keyboard/mouse can end up on the ripped file.

:confused:

That's really bizarre. Never had that happen. Considering I'm usually either writing or composing while ripping (actual audio throughput in many cases), that's truly strange.

Archived