I f you forget everything you........

Cymro#1

• Members

I always had a little bit of ringing but it really got noticeable over last summer when I was usually standing right in front of our drummer who hits like a dam wrecking ball. Now it is a constant background level of white noise.

I don't suppose there's anything can be done about it except wear earplugs and minimize the volume right?

• Members

Exactly.........I don't know what you guys are playing that so many of you are complaining of perminent hearing loss but I've been playing over 25 years and giged regularly for more than 10 of that and have no hearing issues. There have even been times where I/we would be pretty loud.

DB levels of 125 will cause pain in the ears. DB levels 140 and over can cause permanent hearing loss.

Even the loudest bands have only been measured at 120 - 140 db. At that level daily exposure of 15 minutes can cause hearing loss. So unless you are the guitarist for AC/DC, The Who, Kiss or some other loud band I don't see how there is so much hearing damage.

A 40 watt amp in a average size venue will put out about 90db. At that level you could be exposed for 8 hours daily without hearing damage. Even if you were really loud and pushed 100db wich I doubt most venues would have you turning it down if you were above that you could still be exposed for 2 hours daily without hearing damage.

You do NOT have to be Pete Townsend or any other top name to suffer Tinnitus or hearing problems. Every body's body is diffrent and has different tolerances. THREADS LIKE YOURS ARE INCORRECT AND IRRESPONSIBLE

• Members

that's where I hear most of these volume horror stories.

yep... small rooms... cranked amps... drummer going off.... can't hear the singer

all too common

singer: "can we turn down a bit so we can hear what we're playing?"

gtr player: "don't be a {censored}... my 50 watt stack needs to be cranked to get that proper tube tone"

drummer: "yeah i need to smash my drums to get the feel"

2 years later

singer: "can we turn down a bit so we can hear what we're playing?"

gtr player: "great idea... get double cheese on it... but no anchovies"

drummer: "f'd if i know where it went... did you look under your jacket?"

• Members

You do NOT have to be Pete Townsend or any other top name to suffer Tinnitus or hearing problems. Every body's body is diffrent and has different tolerances. THREADS LIKE YOURS ARE INCORRECT AND IRRESPONSIBLE

First off this is your thread not mine. Second I'm just pointing out if you are playing at a DB level that can cause hearing damage you need to either learn how to use the volume knob or use the correct gear for the space you are playing in.

I have been playing a long time and have gigged with everything from a 5 watt amp to a 100 watt with 412s. It didn't take me long to figure out you don't crank a 100w 412 in your bedroom and you don't take a 5w to a outdoor concert.

• Members
First off this is your thread not mine. Second I'm just pointing out if you are playing at a DB level that can cause hearing damage you need to either learn how to use the volume knob or use the correct gear for the space you are playing in.

I have been playing a long time and have gigged with everything from a 5 watt amp to a 100 watt with 412s. It didn't take me long to figure out you don't crank a 100w 412 in your bedroom and you don't take a 5w to a outdoor concert.

I think that knowing how to adjust levels is something we can all agree on. In addition to that, most people would agree that using earplugs is beneficial.

A 5 watt tube amp can be as loud as 106 dB, depending on the actual amp, speakers, etc. That's pretty loud, and well above the recommended starting point to wear earplugs.

Simply using a Sound Level Meter at a rehearsal or gig can be a more objective way to help decide whether or not to use earplugs. Considering that rock concerts are typically identified at 110-120 dB I'll keep bringing my earplugs. Even to rehearsal :)

• Members

Just tracked down this thread again and wanted to thank you guys that responded to my query. This is really important stuff to me as I have a small practice space that seems to amplify certain high frequencies and am on the verge of having some friends over. Hearos and Sound OFF - I'm off to see the wizard.:cool:

• Members

Sir, I too have almost 35 years in the music business and haveplayed a number of different kinds of amps and guitars......that is not the point.In fact I am rather confused as to the whole jist of your post. To say that, unless you are the Townsends, AC/DC etc , you will not have problems is irresponsible and is sending out the wrong message to youngsters. Musicians and audiences need to look at noise damage as they would smoking or drinking too much. It does cause problems later in life as many on this forum bear testament to. My message is simple ...always wear earplugs.

and yes ...it is my thread...what's your point:confused:

• Members

I'm suprised that with all the well-meaning groups around that want to protect us from everything, that there hasn't been legislation limiting the sound level venues are allowed. I'm not in favor of the government limiting anything, but if part of the purpose of government is to protect, that would make as much sense as just about every othe law that is intended to protect us.

I have seriously damaged hearing. I teach, and it is very difficult to hear my students when they respond. At live music venues I have to wear earplugs or everything is just noise. And I hear crickets chirping 24/7.

I wish I had been more careful with my hearing when I was young. When it's gone you can't get it back.

• Members

I'm suprised that with all the well-meaning groups around that want to protect us from everything, that there hasn't been legislation limiting the sound level venues are allowed. I'm not in favor of the government limiting anything, but if part of the purpose of government is to protect, that would make as much sense as just about every othe law that is intended to protect us.

+1000

• Members

Exactly.........I don't know what you guys are playing that so many of you are complaining of perminent hearing loss but I've been playing over 25 years and giged regularly for more than 10 of that and have no hearing issues. There have even been times where I/we would be pretty loud.

DB levels of 125 will cause pain in the ears. DB levels 140 and over can cause permanent hearing loss.

Even the loudest bands have only been measured at 120 - 140 db. At that level daily exposure of 15 minutes can cause hearing loss. So unless you are the guitarist for AC/DC, The Who, Kiss or some other loud band I don't see how there is so much hearing damage.

A 40 watt amp in a average size venue will put out about 90db. At that level you could be exposed for 8 hours daily without hearing damage. Even if you were really loud and pushed 100db wich I doubt most venues would have you turning it down if you were above that you could still be exposed for 2 hours daily without hearing damage.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Everything I've read or heard says that extended exposure to sound levels over 85db can cause damage. Most of my hearing loss I attrubute to operating tractors and combines when farming in my younger days. Those sound levels were probably below 100db.

Consider yourself fortunate that you still enjoy good hearing.

• Members
I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Everything I've read or heard says that extended exposure to sound levels over 85db can cause damage. Most of my hearing loss I attrubute to operating tractors and combines when farming in my younger days. Those sound levels were probably below 100db.

Consider yourself fortunate that you still enjoy good hearing.

But it was the norm to go out and sit on a wide open tractor with a straight pipe plowing for 12 hours straight, days at a time. That leaves no rest/recoup time for the ears.

• Members

And now we have more information -and regulations- that allows us to avoid the mistakes from the past and prevent health problems.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Fascinating article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/8841090/music_making_fans_deaf

Reminded me of the time I saw Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The volume was awfully loud, and the high frequencies of the sword fight were very unpleasant.

Some musicians with hearing problems, and their causes:

http://members.fortunecity.com/nrbq1/tinnitus.html

• Members

Cyrmo I'm truely sorry that you have hearing problems and I don't doubt your intentions in starting this thread were well meant.

I have no problems if you choose to wear ear plugs. I choose not to.

I posted my responce because in the last couple weeks there have been several threads about ringing in the ears, hearing issues and wearing ear plugs. One person posts and 20 others jump in with thier "kids don't do what I did" responces. I don't doubt that you have hearing problems from years of high volumes and I don't dought that others may have issues but I have grown weary of the other 20 people who jump on with all thier issues and the "how I have suffered for my art" posts. I know that some of the posters I have seen claiming hearing issues have been bairly playing long enough to get caluses on thier finger tips.

It's time to stop already and have some threads about playing guitar and music. Threads about music sink like a rock around here and pointless thread sit on the front page for days.

Be sensible about volume wear ear plugs what ever just play your guitar.

• Members

Anybody else here ever see Jay Reatard live? I swear to God, that was the only show I've ever been to where I left saying "I'm going to be deaf tomorrow." He liked to crank the feedback on a delay pedal and let it just oscillate/modulate constantly between songs so the whole set was a wall of noise. Awful.

Great show, terrible headache. Not worth it.

• Members

Cyrmo I'm truely sorry that you have hearing problems and I don't doubt your intentions in starting this thread were well meant.

I have no problems if you choose to wear ear plugs. I choose not to.

I posted my responce because in the last couple weeks there have been several threads about ringing in the ears, hearing issues and wearing ear plugs. One person posts and 20 others jump in with thier "kids don't do what I did" responces. I don't doubt that you have hearing problems from years of high volumes and I don't dought that others may have issues but I have grown weary of the other 20 people who jump on with all thier issues and the "how I have suffered for my art" posts. I know that some of the posters I have seen claiming hearing issues have been bairly playing long enough to get caluses on thier finger tips.

It's time to stop already and have some threads about playing guitar and music. Threads about music sink like a rock around here and pointless thread sit on the front page for days.

Be sensible about volume wear ear plugs what ever just play your guitar.

Well, why don't you go start one of them there guitar playing threads, instead of being wrong in this one. You haven't added a thing to this thread, besides to be argumentative and give bad advice and tell everybody they need to learn how to use their volume knob or use the right gear for the space. You are a knob. If you've really been playing for that long, you would know that it's not always that cut and dry. Stages and venues in general can be very {censored}ing loud places that can do real and permanent damage to your hearing. Are there musical situations where earplugs are unnecessary? Sure. But the average young (or new) player is probably not going to have the experience to know what those situations are. Therefore, WEARING EARPLUGS IS GOOD PRACTICE.

Archived