Vintage Les Paul Refinishing

rydia is hot

• Members

So...I have an 86 Les Paul Standard that has way too much sentimental value to sell (it belonged to George McCorkle, a good friend). But the thing is ugly (to me). A nasty cherry sunburst finish with a not-so-well-matched three piece top (ah, 80s Gibsons).

Is having a pro refinishing it a horrible idea, if I am 100% I will never sell it? I'm serious about that - this will be a family piece that I don't want sold, ever. And if one of my kids decides to go against that wish, well...I'm glad they'll get burned on the resale :cop:

• Members

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just have it redone with nitro to preserve the same feel. Of course that will mean it will be out of commission for a bit while the finish cures but it sounds like it will be well worth the wait. Oh, and shop carefully for someone you feel confident will do the guitar justice.

What color were you thinking of having it redone in?

• Members

genuine answer - if you don't ever want to sell it, do whatever you want to it so it becomes something you want to play and enjoy more! that's the real way to treat it and do justice to the gift from your friend.

practical answer - it's an 80's gibson and won't ever really be worth a fortune anyway

• Members

If you are looking for someone to do a re-finish, I'd check out these guys. I've never had a guitar refinished by RS but they have worked on some of my guitars for electronic kits. Every time I have been over to their shop (as they are local to me) I see a few things that blow me a way that they are working upon. They are pros and do quite a bit of work for pros.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/

• Members

Don't refinish it'll be worth more left as is. What so bad about a cherry sunburst?

well, i'm not too torn up about resale, as it's not getting sold. i know that phrase gets thrown around a lot on these forums, but it's the only piece of gear that i've never considered letting go of.

the cherry sunburst just looks really meh. it's not faded well and the three piece top looks pretty bad...

• Members

genuine answer - if you don't ever want to sell it, do whatever you want to it so it becomes something you want to play and enjoy more! that's the real way to treat it and do justice to the gift from your friend.

practical answer - it's an 80's gibson and won't ever really be worth a fortune anyway

People once said the same about a '50s Gibson. They were wrong.

EG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, there will be a day that 80s LPs become seriously collectible and the prices get stupid but when that day comes that demand is big and supply is too small & kicks prices way up is anyones guess right now.

One thing to consider is that obviously it has high sentimental value to you because it belonged to your friend. Your friend chose that guitar for a reason and while it may not visually appeal to you, you might want to consider that before deciding to refin. The guitar is your friend's legacy to you and some would think a refin diminishes that connection....others don't see it that way.

Either way, it's your guitar & future resale is not an issue to you so if you want to refin it, I say do it!

• Members

I say go for it.

There may be a day that 80's gibsons are worth a {censored} load, but I don't see that day coming any time soon. The main reason being that there are somewhere in the region of 1500 bursts in existance built spaning the years 58-60.

I can't find the exact figures, but I've read that R9's are up to about 3k units a year now so I'd imagine the standard sells {censored} loads and always has done. The main reason the bursts are so expensive is because of their rarity and historical significance, something that will not be the case for 80's standards.

Although the price of Norlin era stuff has grown, they can often be found for less than a production standard today

Archived