Do you make your own pickguards? If so, I have a question.

SnoMan97

• Members

I don't know... I do have a couple pickguards I'll never use... I could try it on them as I have a couple pickguards that are not countersunk and I would prefer them to be.

I wonder if someone makes like a very shallow reamer. Or maybe just using the countersink but by hand. I wouldn't imagine it would take much effort to remove that little plastic.

• Members

I use a heat gun, and an Airway knife. An Airway knife is a smaller, thicker utility knife for cutting vinyl, sub floor, and vinyl tile. If you don't have a heat gun, a blow dryer might work. Aim the heat at the back of the pick guard only. One time, I didn't have my van home, so no heat gun, so I boiled some water, and stuck the pick guard in it. It worked, stuff cut like butter, but it discolored the pick guard.

• Members

You could use a dremel, just make sure to use a cutting bit, not one for grinding of sanding. I think using a dremel freehand will end in tears though. Better to use a template and a cutting bit with a guide. I use an old junked pickguard and a router with a guide on the bit.

Archived