Good God I suck...

Snakehead

• Members

Well, after spending 2 years trying to teach myself how to play this instrument, I have concluded that I seriously lack talent. I was struck by this epiphany after sitting on my couch and trying to learn the same blues song that I've been working on for the last two weeks to no avail.

I have been using DVDs for the past year or so, practicing an hour or so a day, and I thought I was making progress, but it seems as though I've been backsliding recently, and I don't know why. Frankly, one reason is that the one I'm using now isn't that good, and the instructor blows through songs without pausing to say just what the hell he's doing, and it's tough to see his finger positioning. But I also have big hands and I keep muting strings. I'm making no progress at all and it's driving me crazy. Why the hell did I buy all this equipment? Has anyone here gone through this before?

Sorry for the semi-coherent rant, but I needed to vent and my girlfriend clearly wasn't in the mood to hear it. Short of beating up random strangers, I have no other outlet...

• Members

I have been going through that for over 25 years. I play something and tell myself over and over how much I suck then I have a day like Saturday when I had some freinds over to jam and they keep telling me how great I play and sound. You're always going to be critical of yourself. Just keep playing and have fun with it. Who know you may one day be great or maybe not but as long as you are having fun who cares.

• Members

Go to a new tutor! Your current tutor sounds like a dick! Record yourself playing on a monthly basis. You probably have improved somewhat but maybe dont notice it as much because you are you:)

Try learning something new, different than your blues piece, you need to mix it up, and most importantly enjoy what you are doing. Sounds like your current tutor isnt taking the time to asess how you are interpreting his lessons. Go to someone with a good reputation. What stage would you say your knowledge, technique is at just now? and what do you think needs the most work?

• Members

Not everybody can teach themselves. Sounds like you could benefit from some real lessons. A human teacher can slow down when you ask them to, and will give you feedback as to when you're doing something wrong or right. Sometimes, just a few lessons can get you to that next plateau of ability.

• Members

You're at a horrible point right now that every guitarist I know of has hit....that frickin plateau. You've got to frickin push through it or you decide that it isn't for you. There's nothing wrong with not playing; it ain't for everyone. Just don't think that you are the only one that hit a spot where they felt like they'd never improve.

As for the videos and {censored}; I've got mixed feelings about them. I've worked on a few songs by watching videos and to be honest it's just not the same as doing it by ear or even getting a tab of the song and sitting down with the song and playing with it until you work it out.

I don't think that anyone has become great from watching videos because music is about hearing it and not seeing it. You can watch someone do it over and over again and it just doesn't make the same amount of sense as if you hear it and can make it happen from the sound and feel of the lick. And I don't think that last sentence made sense to anyone but me.

There is always the option of putting it down for a while too. I've done that many times myself. A lot of playing is mental and if you aren't in the right frame of mind you are just going to get more frustrated and start to dislike it. It's when you miss it when you aren't playing and when you are enjoying it when you are is where you make the most progress.

• Members

i invested 6 months up front on lessons and have been fine on my own ever since. i can't imagine not having that human sounding-board up front though. get lessons and plan on sticking with them for 6 - 12 months. you will see your playing take off to new serious heights. then, cut yourself loose and you'll be ok.

that's my advice, anyway.

• Members

I'd recommend live lessons too. The DVD can't tell you if you are doing something wrong or could do it a different way to make it easier. You might need this.

I've been taking lessons for a while now and it's clearly made me much better as well as keeping me motivated and learning new things. Otherwise I'd stagnate pretty easily. And I have no natural talent so I need to work constantly to improve as nothing is going to come naturally

After a while with lessons with a GOOD instructor you can decide if you need to keep doing them or if you can move forward on your own.

• Members

The first 15 years of guitar playing for me were like this. Nonstop, constant frustration and depression. About five years ago I somehow found dedication. I began to practice 30-40 hours a week. I began to not be as discouraged by my sucking. I began to slowly improve. Over the last year I've had several breakthroughs, got good enough to join a band, and that kicked off another round of breakthroughs. But I had to practice 30-40 hours a week for several years before I really began to advance. I'm still not particularly good, there's tons of 11-year old Korean girls on Youtube who destroy me, but I have finally improved.

• Members

+1 on the live lessons, no doubt.

If blues is your thing I can recommend the Blues You Can Use book/cd. It's a step by step approach, played at progressively increasing speeds and it explains what you're doing and how it leads to the next step in the process. Lot's of songs and jams to work on as you work through it.

Have fun dude, I recently started playing with a band for the 1st time and was in mortal fear of sucking. I still think I do but others have been complimentary and that feels good. Play with some other folks and get some feedback, you'll be surprised.

AND...don't get caught up comparing yourself to the guy on the DVD or an instructor or the guy jamming the leads in your fave band. As was stated before compare yourself to where you were in the recent past.

Now go rawk the house down!!!

• Members

Some people just suck naturally, such as me. Practice a lot, drink some whiskey, have a good time.

Another thing to keep in mind is you aren't going to sound like the recording of your favorite band. They do guitar layering and other tricks to sound GODLIKE, not to mention multiple takes on each part of a song.

If you t hink you suck so bad, start over. Act like you just discovered guitar and start from the ground up. Learn the basic scales, proper fingering techniques, and easy songs. Work your way up.

• Members

Step #1 = take the strings off, except high E

Step #2= on this string, randomly put ur fingers on any fret, as fast as u can, hit the whammy bar now and then, then grab damn whammy and rock the guit up and down...

Step #3 = Ibanez will give u signature guitar and u'll play in Dragonforce

What if I replaced ALL the strings with High E strings?

• Members

All of the above. I think I suck and my wife says I sound good because she has to. She paid the kid in the music store a coupla weeks ago to say I sound good. Even though she was in another state. :facepalm:

Everyone is critical of themselves. Keep pushing, it's worth it. Everyone learns at their own pace. Try something different for a while, and come back to the stuff giving you trouble.

• Members

Frankly, one reason is that the one I'm using now isn't that good, and the instructor blows through songs without pausing to say just what the hell he's doing, and it's tough to see his finger positioning.

To me, it sounds like your instructor is an asshat. You are not paying him $$ so he can show off. Find someone who is patient enough to SHOW you how to do it, not just to do it and wait for applause...

• Members

To me, it sounds like your instructor is an asshat. You are not paying him $$ so he can show off. Find someone who is patient enough to SHOW you how to do it, not just to do it and wait for applause...

I laughed when I read this..the instructor he's talking about is on a DVD!

Archived