Project Questions about Humbuckers in a Strat

Doctor Morbius

• Members

I'm currently working on a project to put two Gibson Classic '57s in a 2006 MIM Strat body. I've already done a swimming pool route on the body. However, I'm concerned about the depth of the pickups and screws.

For those that have done this, have you had to cut some extra length off the humbucker screws or did you deepen the body cavity? Or both? The body doesn't appear deep enough for these buckers to fit.

This is my first Humbucker project so I'm not sure what to do at this stage. Just a little more solder work and mounting the loaded pickguard and it'll be ready to put the rest guitar together (easy stuff).

• Members

I've never done any extra routing myself, but my Affinity Squier (with the thinner body) had an Epiphone HB in it at one point and that All Parts Ash strat has had a Seth Lover, a PRS SE pickup and two Epi HBs in it at different points. Most MIMs and many MIA strats are routed for hum buckers and have hum buckers available in certain models.

I'd have to think that the pickups will fit... but I guess there's a change you might have to cut down or grind down the screws if they are too tall. Remember, the pickup will stick out of the pick guard to some extent.

Hopefully someone can chime in that's actually put a set of 57 Classics in a strat.

• Members

Sounds like I'll at least have to cut those screws down. They stick up nearly as high as the switch. I'll cut them down with a Dremmel tomorrow and check the fit.

Thanks guys.

One final point, I believe I cut them too low initially - and then the HB sat too flat in the cavity (no chance to fix them), had to then track down some new screws. Measure carefully and good luck.

• Members
One final point, I believe I cut them too low initially - and then the HB sat too flat in the cavity (no chance to fix them), had to then track down some new screws. Measure carefully and good luck.

OK, I'll double check the measurements first. I don't want them sitting too flat and I don't want them too close to the strings either.

Archived